• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My NAVY story.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harryort

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania.

On the 27th of September 1978 I enlisted in the United States Navy for a term of 6 years with the intent of making a career of the Navy. By the end of my 1st week in boot camp I was promoted to a position in which I was in command when the chief was not present. I forget what they called the position, but I remember wearing a gold anchor on each lapel. I was to help those that needed further instruction on anything we were taught as well as carry out orders in the chief’s absence. Things did not go well for me after that due to, in my opinion the fact that the other recruits did not accept my being in charge and that all but 3 of us were inmates given the choice of enlistment or jail. The lack of control I had over the men put me at odds with the chief when orders weren’t followed.

As a result I suffered lack of sleep and numerous threats from other recruits. I tried twice to get out of the position of being in charge when the chief was away. Once I was left standing at attention for maybe an hour in the rain. Friday night of my 3rd week in boot camp found me waking at about 1:30am to one of the recruits sitting on my chest with a knife at my throat. Earlier in the night another recruit was found in the shower with a ballpoint pen trying to jab it into the side of his head and screaming and crying. I reported the incidents of course as was my duty. The guy stabbing his head with a pen was bleeding and taken away in an ambulance. After I reported the knife attack I requested that my attacker be removed from the barracks as I found it impossible to sleep with him there.

This was not done as well as my claim of the attack was dismissed as stress related imagination. I subsequently requested that I be transferred or removed from the barracks and this resulted in me being sent to the psych ward of the hospital. I spent a week there with no doctor evaluation or discussion although I was surely being observed. At the end of the week I met with a doctor who offered me a cigarette, asked me if I wanted to go back to my barracks or leave the Navy. At that point I had all I could take and just wanted the hell out (as no one believed me with exception to those who witnessed the attack). I was given an honorable RE-4 discharge and sent home.

Over the years since, I have wanted some resolve as well as been told by others (former military personnel) what happened to me should be/have been investigated. I’ve also been told I should have been given an honorable discharge with veteran benefits. I can’t say I have any disorder from this but it has troubled me over the years. I truly did want to make a career of the Navy and often regret not speaking out then. But I was scared to do so for fear of retaliation and maybe still should be. As times have changed I would like to know why this was allowed to happen to me. And of course last but not least “If I only knew then what I know now.”

My questions are,

Was my time there documented by the Navy and are those records accessible by me?

Was I treated unfairly or did this sort thing happen often (part of the training?)?

If this type of thing happened to others what did they do and or what was the outcome?

racer72

Was my time there documented by the Navy and are those records accessible by me?
Probably not. It wouldn't do you any good if you had them. There is this thing called the statute of limitations.

Was I treated unfairly or did this sort thing happen often (part of the training?)?
I saw a number of guys wash out when I was in Navy boot camp in 1975. I actually found boot camp to not be all that difficult. Being away from my family was my biggest issue.

If this type of thing happened to others what did they do and or what was the outcome?
The only person I knew personally that didn't make it through boot camp received mental health treatment for a short while. If this is bothering you this much now, may I suggest you do the same.

umkemesic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania.

On the 27th of September 1978 I enlisted in the United States Navy for a term of 6 years with the intent of making a career of the Navy. By the end of my 1st week in boot camp I was promoted to a position in which I was in command when the chief was not present. I forget what they called the position, but I remember wearing a gold anchor on each lapel. I was to help those that needed further instruction on anything we were taught as well as carry out orders in the chief’s absence. Things did not go well for me after that due to, in my opinion the fact that the other recruits did not accept my being in charge and that all but 3 of us were inmates given the choice of enlistment or jail. The lack of control I had over the men put me at odds with the chief when orders weren’t followed.

As a result I suffered lack of sleep and numerous threats from other recruits. I tried twice to get out of the position of being in charge when the chief was away. Once I was left standing at attention for maybe an hour in the rain. Friday night of my 3rd week in boot camp found me waking at about 1:30am to one of the recruits sitting on my chest with a knife at my throat. Earlier in the night another recruit was found in the shower with a ballpoint pen trying to jab it into the side of his head and screaming and crying. I reported the incidents of course as was my duty. The guy stabbing his head with a pen was bleeding and taken away in an ambulance. After I reported the knife attack I requested that my attacker be removed from the barracks as I found it impossible to sleep with him there.

This was not done as well as my claim of the attack was dismissed as stress related imagination. I subsequently requested that I be transferred or removed from the barracks and this resulted in me being sent to the psych ward of the hospital. I spent a week there with no doctor evaluation or discussion although I was surely being observed. At the end of the week I met with a doctor who offered me a cigarette, asked me if I wanted to go back to my barracks or leave the Navy. At that point I had all I could take and just wanted the hell out (as no one believed me with exception to those who witnessed the attack). I was given an honorable RE-4 discharge and sent home.

Over the years since, I have wanted some resolve as well as been told by others (former military personnel) what happened to me should be/have been investigated. I’ve also been told I should have been given an honorable discharge with veteran benefits. I can’t say I have any disorder from this but it has troubled me over the years. I truly did want to make a career of the Navy and often regret not speaking out then. But I was scared to do so for fear of retaliation and maybe still should be. As times have changed I would like to know why this was allowed to happen to me. And of course last but not least “If I only knew then what I know now.”

My questions are,

You can apply at anytime to the Board of Corrections to correct records, they usually waive the time period for review. Then you have 6 years from the date of discharge to challenge that in Federal Court - obviously its way too late.

Stuff happens. Although you got an Honorable the RE-4 code makes it hard. I knew a guy you was discharged for Asthma in Navy boot, went on to Medical School, and went in as an Officer in the USAF - only top be cm for drug use.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">