• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need serious help! army legal issue - friend letting me borrow vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

milmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska
Okay so I'm in the army and stationed in Alaska. My friend let me borrow his truck last week cuz I flew my girlfriend up here and my vehicle just broke down so it wasn't gonna be fixed in time. My chain of command, specifically my platoon sergeant told me today I cant use his truck anymore and if I do I'll get an article 15 and he will as well. I don't understand how this could be justifyable, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to borrow his vehicle. I paid him and we came to an agreement for three weeks. My chain of command is stressing me out saying were going to get in trouble. I know they're only doing this because my girlfriend is here and I just spent money on her plane ticket so they want me to not be able to see her or at least try to make it difficult for me to see her. I don't see why there would be a reason we could get an article 15 from him letting me borrow his truck. It's not interfering with work and they're the ones who's making a big deal about it. Can they really give me an article 15 for something so little that doesn't even matter ? I need help please.
I'm assuming your platoon sergeant had a good reason to tell you and your friend couldn't borrow cars. What reason did the platoon sergeant give you? I suspect he/she didn't forbid it randomly and without reason.

brad4448

I'm assuming your platoon sergeant had a good reason to tell you and your friend couldn't borrow cars. What reason did the platoon sergeant give you? I suspect he/she didn't forbid it randomly and without reason.
There was no legitimate reason. Just one day he put it out in formation dont lend out your cars. But if he's fine with it and we agreed on it why are they trying to tell soldiers they cant loan out their cars to help somebody out ? I think it's more of a power trip kind of thing. It cant be legally possible to get an article 15 for loaning someone in your platoon their vehicle ?

milmom

There was no legitimate reason. Just one day he put it out in formation dont lend out your cars. But if he's fine with it and we agreed on it why are they trying to tell soldiers they cant loan out their cars to help somebody out ? I think it's more of a power trip kind of thing. It cant be legally possible to get an article 15 for loaning someone in your platoon their vehicle ?
So he wasn't just picking you and your buddy out like you previously made it sound. There could be many legitimate reasons for not wanting people to share each others cars, you'll have to ask your platoon sergeant for specifics on why. Although there is no regulation that I'm aware of that makes it illegal to borrow another soldier's car, I'm pretty sure disobeying an NCO could get you in some hot water. Sounds like he made it pretty clear to you and your friend you aren't to lend each other your cars. It could be as simple as there having been an incident in your unit of someone borrowing a car and wrecking it and it causing issues. What did your chain of command/platoon sergeant/squad leader say when you asked them why it wasn't allowed?

How far is the airport? Why can't your buddy take you to pick up your girlfriend?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">