• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some advice-OTH discharge-very long

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AGG

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I joined the army a few years ago and completed my training. I ended up reenlisting and going active after my unit disbanded. I did about a year active when I got pregnant. I decided to get out and received an Honorable Discharge.

Because my unit was in the field and slacked on my paperwork I ended leaving my unit right before I turned 9 months and could not out process. I called them and each time they told me someone was working on it. After that I lost touch with them. Totally my fault, I should of pressed harder.

I was placed in the IRR after that. From my understanding I was supposed to receive a unit and go check in once a year. I talked to a recruiter and he said come on down to the station and he would 'sign me up' for a unit. Next thing I know I'm in the regular reserves. My daughter by that time was just born and they had me going to drills, and then telling me I had to get ready to do my two weeks in the summer. I presented my unit's recruiter with the only paperwork I had which was my signed contract with the IRR. And he flat out told me, I wasn't supposed to be there and did I want to accept a bonus and sign a contract. I told him NO. They gave me the option to join it when I was separating and I said no.

So I wrote up a statement and he told me it'd go through the chain of command. I went to a few more drills and stopped going when they went to do their two weeks. After that I came on post several times, no one was at the unit. My HUGE mistake. They ended up kicking me out with an OTH discharge.

It's now three years later and I tried last year to repeal. I sent off for my DD214 and they never sent it. I have no car and have been practically homeless with a 3 year old for the last 3 years.

I have a question, the only paperwork I signed was a unit transfer to go from the IRR to reserves, was that enough? The paperwork was blank, but I wasn't aware that was all it took to go from one component to another. What can I do? I need some help. I can't live like this anymore.

thinid

You should go to your local VET center, you can find them through the VA. They can assist you in getting whatever paperwork and documents you need.
There is a process to get your military records corrected, if indeed such a correction is warranted. From what you have said, it sounds like you signed an enlistment contract to serve in the Reserves, and then you went AWOL. You don't have much of a case for saying you thought you were in the IRR. Not reading something you sign is not going to fly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">