• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJP or Court-Martial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

usmcwife10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
Hello,
My husband is in the Marine Corps and has served over 10 years. Recently, he was charged with conduct unbecoming for an alcohol related incident. Basically, someone at work thought he was drunk and when they questioned him, he told them that he had drank the night before (the truth) but that he wasn't under the influence at the time. Now, his command is trying to NJP him for that and he is thinking of refusing it and requesting a court martial. He was never given a breathalyzer and PMO was never called, nor was any investigation initiated. My question is, should he take his chances and go with a court martial to get this dismissed or accept the NJP? Thank you for any advice!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
Hello,
My husband is in the Marine Corps and has served over 10 years. Recently, he was charged with conduct unbecoming for an alcohol related incident. Basically, someone at work thought he was drunk and when they questioned him, he told them that he had drank the night before (the truth) but that he wasn't under the influence at the time. Now, his command is trying to NJP him for that and he is thinking of refusing it and requesting a court martial. He was never given a breathalyzer and PMO was never called, nor was any investigation initiated. My question is, should he take his chances and go with a court martial to get this dismissed or accept the NJP? Thank you for any advice!
Would you seriously trust the fate of your husband's career to a bunch of random strangers on the internet? :eek:

He should seek competent counsel.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
If your husband hasn't already done so, he should contact the Defense Services office on base

http://www.hqmc.marines.mil/dso/DSOHome.aspx

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">