• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no other place to turn for answers..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

a13FOXtrot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I know this may sound like a broken record, but I have been researching the topic and have read some of the advise given and wondered if you guys can help... I am an E-5 in the LAARNG... I just returned from a deployment in Iraq in December with a unit I have been with for 5 years. Upon return they split our guys up and sent us in different directions to our "home units".needless to say, on top of dealing with the issues of losing my brothers of 5 years, I was expected to travel 3 hours to drill. I am dealing with PTSD issues that the VA says "I don't qualify for treatment" ( sleepless nights, flashing lights, thoughts of putting on uniform brings anxiety, and quit my job in law enforcement of 5 years, that i loved before i left, but I'm normal right?) While in Iraq, I observed some things that I am not particularly "ok with" and My attitude towards "my job" has changed... My question is this...I have 9 months left to my contract and I am fine with not having a "good year" I am 35yrs old , did my tour, didn't agree with it and want to forget about the whole thing. I happens if I don't go to monthly drills, what is it that can happen? I was the "perfect soldier" before i was deployed, but things changed. I tried to talk to my Old unit, they refer me to the new unit, and I have no clue of who is in command or where they are. If I go to that place for drill, I am losing out on money from
my civilian job and my family suffers...hasn't a year of suffering been enough for them? I am not in it for the college money or retirement, so my question is, what can they do?

First of all. thank you for your service to our country. While I agree that the your situation sounds completely disturbing to me. I have a sister who is E-4 USN, while I have no first-hand experience to the rotten treatment our service men and women get after their sacrifices, I am aware of it.

What can they do?

At bare minimum I can think of several things including but not limited to:

Article 92 of the UCMJ- Failure to obey an order or regulation

Article 85 Desertion

Article 86 Away without leave

More than likely the matter would be handled with Non-judicial punishment, and you would merely be discharged, but there are certainly no guarantees of that.

I'm not sure what recourse you have. If you have PTSD issues that are not being properly addressed, you may want to consider committing yourself to a civilian psychiatric facility. For obvious reasons this can have a severe impact on your military and civilian career. But you have to take care of yourself. I don't know for certain, but I'm not sure the military would have grounds to prosecute you. Either way, you have to get the help that you need. If the military will not help you (which again I find despicable) you may have to find it other ways.

ecmst12

It doesn't sound like OP needs inpatient treatment. Therapy on an outpatient basis will likely be EXTREMELY helpful, and may give you the motivation you need to fight the military's dismissal of your condition, and the strength to make it through the last 9 months of your contract.

SCMommy78

Hey,

I'm a 12 year veteran and I'm going through the claim process with the VA right now. Did the VA give you a reason they wouldn't treat you? Are you activated right now?

a13FOXtrot

Not activated, I'm supposed to be going to monthly drills. The VA didn't give a reason, they just sent me a letter stating I wasn't qualified for treatment and could appeal the decision. I signed a 10 year "hush" agreement for my deployment, so how is it I can "let it all out" if I am not supposed to say anything about it? All i can say was that we were hit with rocket and mortar fire just about every night. So instead of looking like "another number " with the VA I went to my civilian doctor and he prescribed me anti depressants, and a sleep aid. what a difference it had made in my life so far. I still haven't gone to monthly drills, and honestly don't plan too. I am happy for the first time in 2 years and I don't want to go back to that dark place in my life I have until November 2012 until I get out.

SCMommy78

I'm glad you're feeling better. If you need to at some point later on....look up the Vet Centers in your area. You can probably google it and find one near you. You may need it in the future...please appeal with the VA. You are owed it. I would also contact your local VFW post...they have liaisons that can help you with a claim etc. I've been told contacting the VA yourself will do nothing. I sincerely hope things keep improving for you and your family. Also one last thing...check out the wounded warrior project website...they have forums on there with people who know and have been through situations similar to yours and they can most likely answer any and all of your questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">