• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtained 99 percentile on all categories of ASVAB, can I join military w/asthma?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noktrnlcrechur

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I have exercise- and allergen-induced asthma. After a 1/10 of a mile, I start wheezing, and can finish running a mile in about 9 minutes. I was offered any position I would like considering I obtained 99 percentile on the ASVAB test in all the categories. I am thinking I would become a foreign language translator as I speak a couple different foreign languages, and it would mean the least amount of physical activity.

Besides obtaining a waiver to join the military for this job, is there a waiver available for the BOOT CAMP?

All answers will be appreciated!

fozzy2

Simple answer -- your ASVAB scores are irrelevant to getting a medical waiver. And from what you describe, it does not sound like you will be getting a waiver. Waivers are almost always for people who have a diagnosis but for whatever reasons don't have (and are not expected to have) symptoms that will be too much of a problem. Asthma, with wheezing at under 200 meters, is unlikely to get waived. And why do you think that a foreign language translator wouldn't mean you were "physically active"? Many linguists are forward deployed as interrogators or detailed to assist tactical units. They have to meet the same basic physical requirements as other service members.

Go ahead and apply for the waiver, but don't bet too much on getting it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">