• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OTH Discharge and RE-4

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mromans

I have a similar situation. I joined the Marine Corps Reserve in 2009 straight out of high school. When I joined, I didn't have much financially due to being in foster care until I was 18. My civilian life just got worse from there. I ended up living in my truck when I wasn't able to stay with friends, and I was working jobs for money. I wasn't at all in a good place mentally due to what family I had left(my grandma) being diagnosed with cancer and I ended up losing what belongings I had left. I could not make it to my drills due to no money not being able to communicate with anyone in my unit. I didn't know the consequences of missing too many drills was that I would get an admin separation and an OTH discharge. I was just a boot with no knowledge of the consequences of my actions. I had an ex girlfriend's address on file and about a year later (2013) I see her and she gives me a packet she received via certified mail stating that I was being or had been discharged. At that time i was still really struggling financially and did not have a steady place to live, so there was nothing I could do to stop it. Over the next few years I was able to slowly get back on my feet. I recently started looking into getting my discharge changed in hopes of getting back into any branch. I found out I also have a RE-4 reenlistment code. On paper I was AWOL. No bad conduct, no failed drug tests, I was just beaten up mentally and homeless. Is it possible for me to get my discharge upgraded and also get my RE-4 changed as well? I understand I more than likely won't be able to re-enlist in the Marines, but can i still join the Army with a RE-4? I want to serve again more than anything, so any advice will help me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I have a similar situation. I joined the Marine Corps Reserve in 2009 straight out of high school. When I joined, I didn't have much financially due to being in foster care until I was 18. My civilian life just got worse from there. I ended up living in my truck when I wasn't able to stay with friends, and I was working jobs for money. I wasn't at all in a good place mentally due to what family I had left(my grandma) being diagnosed with cancer and I ended up losing what belongings I had left. I could not make it to my drills due to no money not being able to communicate with anyone in my unit. I didn't know the consequences of missing too many drills was that I would get an admin separation and an OTH discharge. I was just a boot with no knowledge of the consequences of my actions. I had an ex girlfriend's address on file and about a year later (2013) I see her and she gives me a packet she received via certified mail stating that I was being or had been discharged. At that time i was still really struggling financially and did not have a steady place to live, so there was nothing I could do to stop it. Over the next few years I was able to slowly get back on my feet. I recently started looking into getting my discharge changed in hopes of getting back into any branch. I found out I also have a RE-4 reenlistment code. On paper I was AWOL. No bad conduct, no failed drug tests, I was just beaten up mentally and homeless. Is it possible for me to get my discharge upgraded and also get my RE-4 changed as well? I understand I more than likely won't be able to re-enlist in the Marines, but can i still join the Army with a RE-4? I want to serve again more than anything, so any advice will help me.

You will not be able to enlist in the Army with an RE-4. The Army (like all the other branches) is downsizing - they're not going to waste time or money on someone who has proven they aren't committed.

FlyingRon

Even if they weren't downsizing, you're not getting in with an RE-4. It's not waiverable. You're only chance was to convince someone that the RE-4 circumstances were unwarranted at the time. Seeing how you were were a persistent absentee, there appears to be nothing that would change that determination. Your story of not being able to deal with your failure to report is lame.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">