• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OTH question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bjlb1213

Back in 1995 I joined the Army. I did so b/c I wanted a better life. I was a newly wed and lived in a town that had nothing going on other than one gas station. I went through basic....it was rough. Not b/c the training, etc...I passed everything the first time. What was bad was my drill sergeant was sexually harassing me. After weeks of this going on, I finally had enough and went to Chaplin. It was investigated and a couple other girls came forward. It was found he actually raped a female soldier which she reported to her direct sergeant but nothing came out of it.

You can imaging the retaliation I received from other sergeants and privates who were in basic with me. Since I was the only female who reported this in my company, I was alone. I had to watch my back. I went from being the top female to the bottom in a matter of days. It was a miracle I wasn't beat up as I was often surrounded in the bathrooms by a few girls who now hated me for "ruining this drill sergeant's life". My other drill sergeant protected me by giving me KP duty for the last 3 weeks of training. (basic was longer due to holidays; From Oct95 to Mid Jan96)
During this time I called home and my husband whom I was in love with and needed... was never home. He didn't write. Nothing. It's like he disappeared. He didn't show up for my graduation and he was supposed to take me to AIT. When I waited on to the next day after graduation, I decided to get a bus ticket home and find him. I didn't have to be to my next duty for 4 days.

When I got home...I found him and he was no longer the person I knew. I wondered why before I left for basic he was always in the bathroom "talking" to girls or sometimes guys....or we would go to his friends house and I was told to stay in the car while he went inside. The man I thought I knew was actually a monster and I found out the hard way. I have never even been around alcohol before this; therefore I didn't see the "signs".

As he beat me over and over I was accused of messing around on him, of being a nark and working for the government. He never let me out of his sight; not even to go to the bathroom. I was black and blue and unrecognizable most of the time. A couple of days had passed and I ended up nearly dead in a hospital. I called my recruiter and told them everything. They actually came to see me in the hospital and he cried. He was furious and couldn't stay to see me like that. His partner took him by the arm and forced him out of my room....I never saw them again. They did, however hand me a card and told me to call the number on it once I was on my feet. This took months as the doctor wanted to amputate part of my legs and feet. But I didn't let the doctor do this and I actually made a full recovery on my own. (I was brutally beat in middle of nowhere and someone found me next day covered in blood on a night it was sleeting. I was hypothermic and had severe frost bite on my feet and hands)

I called that number on the card the recruiter handed me when I was able to walk again.... thinking I was going back to my destination. Problem was, they put me on a bus to Ft. Sill, OK. I was discharged 3 months later with OTH. I didn't want it but everyone around me said it was the best thing to do.

Fast forward 20 years later and I have a beautiful family, went to college; have 2 Master's degree, etc... My discharge has never came up and I actually forgot about it. I am passionate about teaching. I have the opportunity to get licensed and my dream of teaching is within my reach. As I am filling out my papers, I see that I have to pass FBI background check. Will my OTH stop me from becoming a teacher?

I have never even had a speeding ticket or anything. I have a clean record and other than that big mistake I made 20 yrs ago, I have nothing to worry about.

Can anyone give me some advice or have any knowledge in this area?

Honestly, my biggest regret is I cared too much for a man who was messed up on Meth....I should have went on with my life in the military. Sorry this is so long, and thank you for your help.

SHORTY LONG

For someone to have two Master degrees you seemed to overlook "What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)"?

As far as your question: Call your State Board of Education and inquire into the Licensing requirements and Certificates to teach.

It would behoove you to research Sexual misconduct/harassment and the US Military. After you ascertain and evaluate the information results, then consider contacting your local Congress person or a Veterans Service organization for help in upgrading your discharge if at all possible; you will never know until you try!

TigerD

I'm still waiting to find out why you received an Other Than Honorable discharge.

I called that number on the card the recruiter handed me when I was able to walk again.... thinking I was going back to my destination. Problem was, they put me on a bus to Ft. Sill, OK. I was discharged 3 months later with OTH. I didn't want it but everyone around me said it was the best thing to do.
There has to be a reason.

TD

bjlb1213

My state

For someone to have two Master degrees you seemed to overlook "What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)"?

Sorry. I edited my first paragraph where I had it in there but forgot to put the state in again.
Yes, even educated people make mistakes. Thank you for not being too condescending. ;)

Arkansas.

bjlb1213

You're correct

Yes, it's called desertion.
I think that's what it was. Honestly, this was so long ago and I ran so far away from that life that I really forgot about this. AWOL? Same thing right?

I did not know about upgrading my discharge until recently. But I was told that you had to do it within 15 years after discharge. Is that true?

And I don't think anyone has answered if OTH discharge comes up on your FBI background check for getting certified to teach. Does anyone know??

FlyingRon

AWOL is when you didn't leave with the intent to not return. If you were unauthorized absent for more than a month, that's going to likely have been considered desertion.
The chances that this will change now is non-existant. The chance that you're going to pursue any other action (sexual harassment) after such a passage of time is also not going to happen.

SHORTY LONG

And I don't think anyone has answered if OTH discharge comes up on your FBI background check for getting certified to teach. Does anyone know??

http://www.fbi.gov/foia/requesting-fbi-records

bjlb1213

AWOL is when you didn't leave with the intent to not return. If you were unauthorized absent for more than a month, that's going to likely have been considered desertion.
The chances that this will change now is non-existant. The chance that you're going to pursue any other action (sexual harassment) after such a passage of time is also not going to happen.
I am not one to seek lawsuits or place my self as a victim. I made my bed and regret my bad choices. I wish I was stronger and stood up for myself at the time. Yes, I was ignorant but I am way past that now. I have moved forward and now take a stance on things I believe in.

Thank you for your advice.

justalayman

but she didn't return because of her choice. Being incapacitated, with documentation from the hospital, should have cleared her of any claim of desertion and would provide adequate defense for the awol status. It's odd that the military would simply disregard such a situation, if they knew of it anyway.

As he beat me over and over I was accused of messing around on him, of being a nark and working for the government. He never let me out of his sight; not even to go to the bathroom. I was black and blue and unrecognizable most of the time. A couple of days had passed and I ended up nearly dead in a hospital. I called my recruiter and told them everything. They actually came to see me in the hospital and he cried.
I am not clear on the timeline. If the time absent prior to the beating exceeded the time allowed to report to next duty station, then awol would be appropriate. If the beating occurred within that 4 days, then the fact the recruiter knowing about it and the OTH doesn't make any sense.

me thinks there be more to the story.

FlyingRon

It's not always that returning after 30 days will not be considered desertion. Depends what else is going on (though if it's just missing AIT it's not as bad as if your unit was being deployed).

Still it doesn't matter, at this point it's not likely changeable.

As for the original question, an FBI Identity Check I don't know if it will report the OTH, but the FBI definitely does have that information (it will certainly show up on an e-check for firearms purchase). It's also available direct from the military. So, it's quite possible a government position will find it.

bjlb1213

but she didn't return because of her choice. Being incapacitated, with documentation from the hospital, should have cleared her of any claim of desertion and would provide adequate defense for the awol status. It's odd that the military would simply disregard such a situation, if they knew of it anyway.

I am not clear on the timeline. If the time absent prior to the beating exceeded the time allowed to report to next duty station, then awol would be appropriate. If the beating occurred within that 4 days, then the fact the recruiter knowing about it and the OTH doesn't make any sense.

me thinks there be more to the story.
Of course there is more to the story. BUT...you are talking to a person who at the time had no "voice" for herself. If someone confronted me....I would just freeze up. I was physically strong and could take a lot but to stand up for myself wasn't even possible.
My recovery was approx. 4 months and I called that number the recruiter gave me. I never talked to anyone about my story. I just was put on a bus to Ft Sill and was there for several weeks. Everyone there (others who were awaiting discharge) were telling me just to get out and don't try to stay in...b/c I might get into more trouble, etc... So, yes I was scared. I didn't tell anyone my story other than my face was black and blue and I was asked what happened...and avoided the subject. (yes, I recouped at home which I endured more abuse)

I was sent back home soon after I signed the paperwork and I didn't go back to my husband. I went directly to women's shelter where I stayed until I got a place to live. I never looked back and as it turns out 10 yrs later, he was shot in the chest by drug deal gone bad over 300 dollars in the middle of nowhere where he bled out. He was found unresponsive at the scene and pronounced.

So assuming the replies are accurate for AWOL/desertion...I assume that my story (looking at it from another's perspective) would fall under these terms.

IDK for sure. I am so ashamed for my choices...I never even looked at my DD214.

Should I give up on trying to be a certified teacher? :confused:

justalayman

[

Should I give up on trying to be a certified teacher? :confused:
that one I cannot answer but after the explanation, I see why you likely received an OTH discharge. If you do not defend yourself, you have to accept what you are given.

sorry for the cards you were dealt but realistically it is most likely too late to change anything now

bjlb1213

[

that one I cannot answer but after the explanation, I see why you likely received an OTH discharge. If you do not defend yourself, you have to accept what you are given.

sorry for the cards you were dealt but realistically it is most likely too late to change anything now
Okay, so I contacted my friend who was I was in contact during this time and she remembers me being upset that I was AWOL. And it sparked a memory...I believe I remember I was accused of AWOL. One sergeant who was there in Ft. Sill with me (I did confide in him my story) told me to fight it b/c I was in the hospital....and the fact I couldn't walk for many weeks...and there were kidnapping police reports to back my story...and it was on the 5 o'clock news and newspaper....I had enough evidence to support my story. BUT...being that he was an alcoholic and struggling with his addictions....I didn't know how much advice I should take from him. He seemed wise. He was older and was good to talk with...never ever treated me with anything other than great respect. I wish I could remember his name...?

I, however was afraid after listening to others say if you try to fight it, they put you in jail...scared the heck out of me. So I put my head down and remained humbled...signed the paper work and got out.

Why can't we have one rewind button each. We can use it when we want to turn back time and take a different path. Wouldn't that be nice??

I have since learned to speak up and now advocate for others who need the support. I've joined community groups and organizations that reach out to others.

My little guy has down syndrome and is the joy of my life. If I hadn't left when I did, I might not have lived much longer. So I can say....that what I learned in basic saved my life that night I almost died. I was able to take the pistol away from him and unload it quickly. I was able to leave a trail of evidence b/c he was taking me to the mountains to kill me. I was able to survive all night in zero degree weather and both out smart and out run him when he wasn't looking. Had I not just graduated basic, I wouldn't have been strong enough for this.

Also...being at Ft. Sill, gave me time to process where I was going to live. Once I was released, I made sure there was room at a local shelter. The time away strengthened my mind and thoughts....that I can make it on my own....and I am no longer afraid to leave.

So it wasn't all a loss. I just wish I knew then....what I know now. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">