• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question concerning military law and state to state law.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RazorsRath

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii
Just a random question concerning a ticket I recently received. I have no desire to fight the ticket, as I know I was in the wrong and the punishment is not enough to warrant going to court over. I am currently stationed in Hawaii, my car is from and registered in Hawaii, however my Drivers licence is from my home state (Colorado). Hawaii has a law that requires you to get a safety inspection on your vehicle every year. Colorado has no such law. My safety inspection expired 2 months ago and I did not realize it, however as I was coming on Base, I was pulled over by PMO and issued a ticket for the expired safety inspection. There was no fine attached to the ticket, however there was a two point loss on my Colorado drivers license. My question is this: Can the police in one state legally deduct points from a license issued by another state in which the law that was broken is not a law? Again I have no intention of contesting this as I was in the wrong for letting my inspection expire, however, I am curious about the legality of the punishment.

racer72

Google "Driver License Compact". Read and weep. It's not the police adding or deducting points to your license, it's called a statutory penalty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">