• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding MOS/Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverado51

Good day folks.

I come here in need of advice regarding an upcoming change in my unit.
I enlisted February of 2011 and have a 6 year reservist contract with the USMC.
Been drilling with my unit since August of 2011 as an 0351 Infantry Assaultman.

Recently word has been passed down that we are no longer going to be an infantry unit but will switch to Military Police.
This means I will no longer be an 0351 and will need to go to the MOS school for Military Police (5811 I believe.)

I'm curious if this is a Breach of Contract?

I want to know my options as of now. They'll have a career planner coming in to talk with us and tell us our options, but I want to go in knowing questions I may need to ask or if they're trying to slip one by us.

I copied this from my enlistment papers. http://i.imgur.com/78oEd.jpg
Of course at first I thought this meant I was guaranteed to work in this MOS only. But now I'm starting to think it means they can train me in that MOS but still change it later.

ERAUPIKE

This is not a breach of contract. You are puffing your chest for a fight you cannot possibly win. Trust me, you are going about this all wrong. If you do not want to be an MP, talk with your command. Ask what options may be available. If you go in to a meeting spouting off about "breach of contract" and so on, you can expect your efforts to be met with staunch resistance.

la0351

Your lucky so stop complaining!

Dude i was an 0351 in the reserves. Your lucky! Your gonna learn something new and maybe humping less. No need to complain at all.

Good day folks.

I come here in need of advice regarding an upcoming change in my unit.
I enlisted February of 2011 and have a 6 year reservist contract with the USMC.
Been drilling with my unit since August of 2011 as an 0351 Infantry Assaultman.

Recently word has been passed down that we are no longer going to be an infantry unit but will switch to Military Police.
This means I will no longer be an 0351 and will need to go to the MOS school for Military Police (5811 I believe.)

I'm curious if this is a Breach of Contract?

I want to know my options as of now. They'll have a career planner coming in to talk with us and tell us our options, but I want to go in knowing questions I may need to ask or if they're trying to slip one by us.

I copied this from my enlistment papers. http://i.imgur.com/78oEd.jpg
Of course at first I thought this meant I was guaranteed to work in this MOS only. But now I'm starting to think it means they can train me in that MOS but still change it later.

umkemesic

Dude! Please note the date on the posts before you post. OP is gone. :cool:
It is only a month old. He's right, MP beats digging holes and rucking.

Also, if OP hasn't figured it out, the Military can retrain you no matter what, I'm pretty sure that's in the fine print so it would not be a "breach of contract". I meant many people who's MOS AFSC's were merged or they were retrained out of their jobs. (Air Force CATM was merged with SP and I knew of Firefighters retrained to Crew Chief (Mechanic).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">