• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RE-4 General under Honorable Discharge, Re-enlistment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JAG1985

What is the name of your state? Florida

My husband was enlisted in the Navy for 4 years. He was two weeks away from completing his 4 year commitment. When he decided to hit someone in a higher rank then him for spewing racial slurs and spitting in his face. He was given a RE-4 General under Honorable Discharge, Bad Conduct. Four Years later, he finds himself desiring to Re-enlist. Would he be able to Re-enlist? If so, what should he do? What are the Laws or Rights during wartime? Is his chance greater becasue of Wartime?

Thank you.

What is the name of your state? Florida

My husband was enlisted in the Navy for 4 years. He was two weeks away from completing his 4 year commitment. When he decided to hit someone in a higher rank then him for spewing racial slurs and spitting in his face. He was given a RE-4 General under Honorable Discharge, Bad Conduct. Four Years later, he finds himself desiring to Re-enlist. Would he be able to Re-enlist? If so, what should he do? What are the Laws or Rights during wartime? Is his chance greater becasue of Wartime?

Thank you.
He needs to aquire his military records and look through them for ways to prove that his discharge was improper. SF 180 submitted to National Archives is the method if he has been out a while.

Hitting a superior is a pretty bad offense but if he can prove that the assault was provoked, then he may be able to get the code changed and the discharged upgraded.

What I don't understand from your post is the General under Honorable discharge, Bad Conduct statement. Perhaps you could elaborate...

In any case, I would suggest he consult a recruiter.

Last edited:

PJ Weber

There are few avenues to pursue regarding a RE4

1) Petition the Navy Board of Military Correction appealing that the RE4 was
awarded in error. A long uphill battle that usually results in a 'no' answer

2) The Army National Guard does take in RE4's, but only on a case by case basis,
he may get lucky although I doubt it

JAG1985

Thank you. I was recently told he would be able to join, but under the army branch. and the process can take up to a year or more. I was wondering if there was a draft, would he be called to fight? I don't understand if they don't want him back, why would they even try to draft him?

Do you understand the purpose behind having a draft? There will not be a draft anytime soon.

The military already gave him one chance and he punched a superior in the face. That gave his command at the time a reason to warn any future recruiters that this guy was not fit to continue service in the Navy. The best bet would be the ANG route if he is determined to serve.

tatchison74

I too had a general under honorable conditions. Although, I ended up with N/A on my re code and misconduct drug abuse. I showed proof that this was wrong and recieved an honorable discharge only. Now my DD214 is very inconsistant. I went to the ANG and they said as of now, they are not accepting any "moral waivers" You can keep trying but, they said until I fight to get everything changed, I will not be allowed back in. Even in war time.

81243E

Re-4

I have an Honorable Discharge with an RE-4. The recruiters couldn't believe it and it(my DD214) was passed around the office. I really wanted to re-enlist. I wrote St. Louis, I even took advice from a guy who had written President Eisenhower to get back in the military. Although I wrote a current President. I had no luck. I heard RE-4 codes compared to a felony on your criminal record. Although this is not true, you can seal a felony conviction and re-enlist in the military. My bro sealed three of them. He went back and served in Iraq X 2 at 48. Good luck! I finally moved on with my life and am a happy, healthy and wealthy civilian.

WaltinPA

ANG as used in this thread appears to mean 'Army National Guard'. In my experience, it is the acronym for Air National Guard, a component of the Air Force.

The military is on a downward slope for enlistments and the requirements are usually tightened up. Fewer waivers,etc. etc. If OP lost it once & assaulted a senior ranking member, I would ask what makes him/her think that someone would not be able to 'push that button' again.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
It doesn't appear that OP has been back since '08 -- this thread has been brought back from the dead courtesy of 81243E.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">