• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reenlistment Bonus Repayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kiri_o

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

My husband has written a letter to his commander to try to get out of the rest of his contract with the National Guard. He has been an excellent soldier and has served approx. 10 years. First, what is the likelihood of even getting out? Second, how does the military typically require the reenlistment bonus to be repaid? He reenlisted for 5 years and has served at least 2 of those 5. He received approx. $15,000. I greatly appreciate any help or advice.

ahnvil

Not knowing any real information... If he's not commissioned, he's not getting out. Commissioned officers who don't owe their branch for college are the only ones I know of who can "quit". He signed a contract and the Army will hold him to it. If he were to be discharged for misconduct (NJP/Article 15), he would be forced to repay whatever portion of his reenlistment bonus he hasn't served out.

$15k over 5 years is $3k/yr. He's served two, if he were kicked out at any point before he completes the third year, he'll owe $9k.

DoD accepts all major cc's, personal or bank checks, your house, your car, firstborns, blood, and zombie ears as forms of payment. Bits of string are NOT accepted, it's policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">