• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reservist denied housing due to military status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GA Peach

What is the name of your state? GA
Are there any remedies or assistance for a Marine Corps Reservist whose landlord has stated that they are basing their decision on whether or not she gets to keep her room on her military status? The statement that was made was: Is she going to get transferred to somewhere else or get shipped to Iraq because I don't want to do all of this when I could potentially rent to someone who would be here for the entire lease period."

SHORTY LONG

From your post, the landlord was being up front and honest. If you feel
that you are being discriminated against, then, suggest you take it to
Base legal.

fozzy2

A quick look at the Georgia fair housing legislation does not reveal any protection for military members per se. (Only for the traditional 'suspect classifications' of race, religion, etc.). Thus it would seem that there is no reason the landlord could not deny leasing the property. Keep in mind that there are also exemptions to most fair housing laws, for example for someone renting in their own residence, etc. with sundry details.
A quick check with base housing or legal should give you a more certain answer.

Some state laws might include current military status as a protected class, but it does not appear that Georgia does. Your landlord is free to rent or not rent to service members as they see fit, apparently.

What is the name of your state? GA
Are there any remedies or assistance for a Marine Corps Reservist whose landlord has stated that they are basing their decision on whether or not she gets to keep her room on her military status? The statement that was made was: Is she going to get transferred to somewhere else or get shipped to Iraq because I don't want to do all of this when I could potentially rent to someone who would be here for the entire lease period."
When you say "keep her room" do you mean the lease is up for renewal and the landlord doesn't want to renew because she may not beable to live up to her new lease?

If that is what you are saying then yes the landlord can say pack your bags, but then who wants to pay money to some unpatriotic greedy landlord?

Also you might want to post this in the landlord/tennant section of this forum.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">