• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeking advice to upgrade from BCD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TainoPR

My case is approaching thirty years. I was released from the military after I went AWOL. I feel that my discharge was inequitable. the reason was a due to a family issue and after my mother-in-law died, I did not have any way to support my wife and I had nowhere to move her at that time. I took the time off to take care of my wife and then returned voluntarily. I was tried under special court-martial served three months in the brig and was given with a bad conduct discharge.

Fred

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Without any details it's impossible to say if it is even possible. Chances are it is highly improbable. You have to have not recovered this due to a court martial and there has to be something improper or unfair about the discharge your received making it an error rather than just because you are now unhappy with the repercussions of a BCD.

https://www.swords-to-plowshares.org/guides/discharge

TainoPR

Seeking advice to upgrade from BC D

Hi Ron,

for some odd reason the information that I had entered did not display. I have added the information to the thread and apparently it can be seen, but I am also attaching to this message.

"Seeking advice to upgrade from BCD"

My case is approaching thirty years. I was released from the military after I went AWOL. I feel that my discharge was inequitable. the reason was a due to a family issue and after my mother-in-law died, I did not have any way to support my wife and I had nowhere to move her at that time. I took the time off to take care of my wife and then returned voluntarily. I was tried under special court-martial served three months in the brig and was given with a bad conduct discharge.

Fred

FlyingRon

Too much time has passed. Since this was the result of a court martial, your only option was to appeal it in a timely fashion. The review board can't help you.

TainoPR

Advice to upgrade BCD

Have you ever done anything at all to rectify your BCD? If so, exactly what, where, and when?
No! I was informed that there was nothing that can be done, but I did some research and saw how there is a possibility. I know a lot of time has passed, but any information is appreciated.
I picked up this information from a web site:

"if the discharge was more than 15 years ago, a veteran must petition the appropriate service Board for Correction of Military Records using DoD Form 149, which is discussed in the
Correction of Military Records� above. A discharge review is conducted by a review of an applicant�s record and, if requested, by a hearing before the board."

I understand there is a process, but I am willing to go through the scrutiny. Thank you!

Fred

TainoPR

Advice to upgrade BCD

Too much time has passed. Since this was the result of a court martial, your only option was to appeal it in a timely fashion. The review board can't help you.
I understand, but was informed that I can still attempt to correct this record; however, I will have to use another form and go through BCMR. is this correct? thank you

Fred

SHORTY LONG

What about a direct "Appeal" that is automatically afforded you within 90 days after you were discharged or released early from the brig and sent home on appellant leave to await for final adjudication?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">