• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeking AWOL Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

intelguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? From : California / Stationed : Fort Knox, Kentucky

I have only been in the Army for almost 11 months now. I've been seen for depression before and was going to be chaptered out on a 5-17 but it was denied after even my phase 2 medical processing. That really messed with my mind even more. They basically told me to buckle up and enjoy the ride. This Friday I completely lost it and was having suicidal thoughts, left a note, but instead chose to leave. I drove 2,100 miles back to California in 2 days and I was noticed missing today as I was receiving many calls to my home and cell phone. Civilian police arrived in the morning and knocked, and stayed at the house for over an hour, watching. They came again in the afternoon and was looking for me. I plan to turn myself into Fort Sill but I do not know when I should turn myself in. I fear if I turn myself in too fast, they will just place me back into my unit. I also fear being apprehended as that would look back and I really just want to turn myself in. What I wish, is to leave the Army officially, instead of being AWOL. My unit I was in, is located in Fort Knox. But from I've read, most AWOLees go to Fort Sill. Should I go to Fort Sill? Or will I be turned around and forced to go back to Fort Knox?

I know what I've done is a disgrace, especially being Infantry. Is it possible I would get a Dishonorable discharge? I just really want to move on with my life and go to school and or get a job. But that will not happen if I have a Dishonorable discharge.. Please advise, thank you..

Last edited:

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? From : California / Stationed : Fort Knox, Kentucky

I have only been in the Army for almost 11 months now. I've been seen for depression before and was going to be chaptered out on a 5-17 but it was denied after even my phase 2 medical processing. That really messed with my mind even more. They basically told me to buckle up and enjoy the ride. This Friday I completely lost it and was having suicidal thoughts, left a note, but instead chose to leave. I drove 2,100 miles back to California in 2 days and I was noticed missing today as I was receiving many calls to my home and cell phone. Civilian police arrived in the morning and knocked, and stayed at the house for over an hour, watching. They came again in the afternoon and was looking for me. I plan to turn myself into Fort Sill but I do not know when I should turn myself in. I fear if I turn myself in too fast, they will just place me back into my unit. I also fear being apprehended as that would look back and I really just want to turn myself in. What I wish, is to leave the Army officially, instead of being AWOL. My unit I was in, is located in Fort Knox. But from I've read, most AWOLees go to Fort Sill. Should I go to Fort Sill? Or will I be turned around and forced to go back to Fort Knox?

I know what I've done is a disgrace, especially being Infantry. Is it possible I would get a Dishonorable discharge? I just really want to move on with my life and go to school and or get a job. But that will not happen if I have a Dishonorable discharge.. Please advise, thank you..
You may want to read through this thread:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/military-law-92/fyi-important-telephone-numbers-military-awolers-deserters-379094.html as it contains good information for deserters.

TigerD

There are only two paths for you: Get kicked out; or man up and become a soldier. You may have already surrendered any control you had in the situation by running away.

You can pretty much bet that you will not receive an honorable discharge.

You are probably looking at a general under other than honorable conditions. And yes, you have severely harmed your future.

DC

umkemesic

The longer you stay AWOL the worse it will be. You mauy only get an Article 15, maybe the boot. But if you are gone months you will probably be court-martialed so I suggest you suck it up.

EDIT: There is a difference between AWOL and Desertion, you do not want to be classified the latter. There was a UCMJ video of a kid that got 11 months and a DD (Marine Infantry) he had a dirt bag civilian lawyer without any experience.

Last edited:

la0351

Wrong advice so far!

Look here is impartial and unbiased advice - Obtain a lawyer now that deals with your situation. - You must obtain a lawyer BEFORE you turn yourself in. This increases the odds of a amicable and speedy resolution to you being AWOL. Please contact secure legal counsel immediately.

ERAUPIKE

Look here is impartial, unbiased, and incorrect advice - Obtain a lawyer now that deals with your situation. - You must obtain a lawyer BEFORE you turn yourself in. This increases the odds of a amicable and speedy resolution to you being AWOL. Please contact secure legal counsel immediately.
Fixed it.

Return yourself to military custody immediately. The longer you wait, the worse it will be when you return. Seek professional help for your suicidal thoughts, the military will be happy to provide you with that for free.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">