• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander, Coercion, and Redress of Wrong

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SeaLawyer1337

Ok so, Im in a sticky situation... (Enlisted U.S.N.

The situation is as follows, This past week I arrive at my workcenter at five minutes before 15Mins To relieve my watch... I change and get ready to do turnover when my Supervisor Calls me into a back office...

My MA1 Procededs to ask me why I am Late, to which I respond with I am not late...

This Accusation goes on for around 10 minutes, with my MA1 Asking me questions and then when I go to reply, He would shout, "Shut the **** up!!!" and my denial persists.

Then he calls in my 2nd Class, to tell me the same thing and to lie to me and say that my other "Shipmates" have been saying that i am always late
To which I replied, "Well I have the right to face my accuser, if these are Formal charges, otherwise you are lieing..."

And he said, "Well im saying they said it so ****ing deal with it!"
So i just kept saying read the SOP, To thier accusations, Over and over...
Until eventaly they said well we are going to take everyone up to the divo.
And i said ok, good luck

Later that evening, my chief calls, asking me the situation.
I explain the above events, and he said that i needed to work on my "Tactfullness"

Then a shipmate, calls me to tell me that, My MA1 was in the store on base and was slandering me to him.
And telling him that i "Threw Him under the bus", and i told them and quote "Well he is always late, so why cant i be?" (Which i never said)
And asked my shipmate to make a statement against me, which he wasnt going to.

The next day I get called down to the DIV-O's Office with only my MA1 And MA2.
I And i sat outside the office they were discussing my "Behavior" in and Then came out, to call me in.

I was told that this was not a Disiplinary Counseling it was informative, and again i was told by my chief that i needed to adjust my tact...?

Then the DIV-O Told me that I was using the rules to my advantage and that I need to be more of a team player?!? (What that says to me, "You need to roll over and take it")

So now Im hearing from others that more coercion, is going on and that they are lieing and trying to get more people to submit false statements about me...

I guess the long and the short is what can i do about this situation?
Do I go to my JAG and prosecute For slander and Libel, Attempt to Conspire against / or Coercion? If they push it, should I ask for special courts martial?
I have others who will make statements to that affect...

Last edited:

It's your duty to get along with your superiors, anything else is just asking for trouble. If they say be more tactful then you need to exude tact.

Just ignore any lies or rumors that your hearing, you know what the truth is.
Did you get charged for being late or just get your feathers ruffled?
No charges no big deal, but your mouthing could lead to charges even if it is just a misunderstanding it's not worth it.

Be careful what you ask for.
Don't dare them to charge you, just go along with the chewing and if it turns into something official demand court martial then.

Keep a personal log of times and dates of abuse, what was said or threatened.
If he crosses the line request mast and ask for an order of protection. Ranting he is going to kill you or stomp you is crossing the line. Just cussing is not crossing the line and chewing you out wrongly is within bounds. But you talking back is not acceptable not even for a second. Don't go UA/AWOL because it's to overwhelming.

Just do even better. Be all that you can be. Never mess up, don't come in late ever and be squared away. Do you have a perfect PFT score? See room for improvement.

ERAUPIKE

Ok so, Im in a sticky situation... (Enlisted U.S.N.
Generally these are self inflicted. Yours is not an exception.

The situation is as follows, This past week I arrive at my workcenter at five minutes before 15Mins To relieve my watch... I change and get ready to do turnover when my Supervisor Calls me into a back office...
So 20 minutes early?

My MA1 Procededs to ask me why I am Late, to which I respond with I am not late...
For some reason he believed that you were...

This Accusation goes on for around 10 minutes, with my MA1 Asking me questions and then when I go to reply, He would shout, "Shut the **** up!!!" and my denial persists.
Ten minutes about why you were late?

Then he calls in my 2nd Class, to tell me the same thing and to lie to me and say that my other "Shipmates" have been saying that i am always late
To which I replied, "Well I have the right to face my accuser, if these are Formal charges, otherwise you are lieing..."
Not true, that would only be true in a trial.

And he said, "Well im saying they said it so ****ing deal with it!"
My response would have been similar

So i just kept saying read the SOP, To thier accusations, Over and over...
Until eventaly they said well we are going to take everyone up to the divo.
And i said ok, good luck
Your mouth is going to end your career.

Later that evening, my chief calls, asking me the situation.
I explain the above events, and he said that i needed to work on my "Tactfullness"
I agree

Then a shipmate, calls me to tell me that, My MA1 was in the store on base and was slandering me to him.
And telling him that i "Threw Him under the bus", and i told them and quote "Well he is always late, so why cant i be?" (Which i never said)
And asked my shipmate to make a statement against me, which he wasnt going to.
How is that slander?

The next day I get called down to the DIV-O's Office with only my MA1 And MA2.
I And i sat outside the office they were discussing my "Behavior" in and Then came out, to call me in.
Sounds reasonable

I was told that this was not a Disiplinary Counseling it was informative, and again i was told by my chief that i needed to adjust my tact...?
Are you noticing the pattern here?

Then the DIV-O Told me that I was using the rules to my advantage and that I need to be more of a team player?!? (What that says to me, "You need to roll over and take it")
It says that you need to stop being such a know it all and learn your place.

So now Im hearing from others that more coercion, is going on and that they are lieing and trying to get more people to submit false statements about me...
There is no chance those people are lying, right? Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

I guess the long and the short is what can i do about this situation?
Adjusting your tact would be a start.

Do I go to my JAG and prosecute For slander and Libel,
Nope, those aren't criminal offenses.

Attempt to Conspire against / or Coercion?
Prove it.

If they push it, should I ask for special courts martial?
That is your right, I wouldn't recommend it though.

I have others who will make statements to that affect...
Who are these others? What exactly can that make statements regarding?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">