• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination of parental rights ordered by the military?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

evil-e

What is the name of your state? washington

My question is, can the military force a person to give up their parental rights due to the fact that they are a single parent? Or does extenuating circumstances have a roll in it, such as being an unfit parent what not?

mac105

I don't know what all branches of the service demand with regard to your question, but I do know word for word what the ARMY requires.

When my 21 year son, married and the father of a 2 year old, decided to join the ARMY, he and his wife were told that HE had to give up 'parental rights'. They were upset by this b/c they are happily married. This was always something he wanted to do, she supports his choice, and they are happy!

So we MOTHERS of these two called the recruiter and found out that it is 'custody' that must be given over to someone, in the kids' case, his wife. We were also told that it didn't matter if he was married or not, this is how it was. It has nothing to do with the parent AS a parent personally, but more to do with the fact that the enlisted person now 'belongs' (as in ownership) to that branch of the service, and his/her first concern and obligation must be to that entity. It sounds frightening, but it is only (if so chosen) until the man/woman fulfills their term of enlistment.

Quote from page 2 of the Army enlistment contract:
"d. I am the parent of ****** and certify that the child(ren) has/have previously been placed and is/are in the custody of the other parent or another adult by court order. I further certify the custody agreement was and is intended to remain in full force and effect during the term for which I am now enlisting. I understand that if I regain custody of this/these child(ren), either by court decree, or in accordance with applicable state law, or if the child(ren) is/are residing with me in lieu of the legal custodian, I will be processed for involuntary separation for fraudulent entry unless I can show that the regaining custody is not contrary to the above stated intent; eg. death or incapacity of other parent or custodian)."

N

navalroses

As for the quote that is if you are seperated. I am an army recruiter who has enlisted many young men and women who were married with children and no one ever had to give up parental rights unless they were divorced from there spouse

nextwife

So the army does not want a a divorced father to have any parental rights? That is very different from custody. WHY should any divorced parent be forced to give up their RIGHTS? A married parent is not.

Just curious.

mac105

to navalroses

In my first post, since the military branch was not named, I posted the quoted and copied page from my son's enlistment papers in part to show that it was 'custody', not 'parental rights'.

I see that you did not join until this month. Too bad you hadn't found this site earlier to have perhaps allayed this persons fears of losing 'parental rights' as opposed to (or not including) 'custody'.

I am sure you know what you are talking about if you are what you say. I, on the other hand, right or wrong on the recruiters part, simply quoted and posted word for word what my son's signed paper said.

Again, right or wrong, I am sitting here with the paper in front of me.

The first post here was June 12, my response June 14, and yours 3 months later. I don't see any evidence during that time that 'evil-e' came back or joined. That is unfortunate since you are now here to answer questions.

Welcome aboard, navalroses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">