• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UA - don't know what I'm doing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Handtowell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I just recently went ua and I have no idea whatnom doing. I want a discharge more than anything. But people from my unit keep calling they are going to send the police after me. Are they really going to send people after me ?

I was a marine btw.

Haydes

Police department won't give a crap about you, they are different departments, they don't work for the Marine Corps. However if you get pulled over by the Police, and they run your criminal background a warrant will be given out for your arrest after 30 days, which means you're in desertion status. Some people they will send out to apprehend, some people they won't ever bother. There is too many UA's to deal with. If you get apprehended you will definitely spend time in the brig. Which you do not want to show on your future employment interviews. Brig time is about 30-90 days, after that they'll release you to separations companies, this is where you'll most likely get discharge with an OTH. Brig time is similar to jail time in civilian meaning. So is drug pops. Not very good for future employments. As a former Marine, been through your situation and got out with an OTH. Don't make the same mistake me and others have, stay in, we're in a recession it is a bad time to leave the military. There's a few other reasons not to leave, but this is the main issue as of right now that is affecting everyone. People are getting laid off left, and right, middle class is moving to the 10$ range jobs. They have more education, training, and experience than you do since the Marine Corps doesn't give you crap that you can transition to civilian life besides being a cop of some sort. Competition is tough, and it's about to get a lot worse for the days to come. I understand what it feels like in the Marines, but I would do it again just to finish that contract to save my future employments from blowing up.

ERAUPIKE

Police department won't give a crap about you, they are different departments, they don't work for the Marine Corps. However if you get pulled over by the Police, and they run your criminal background a warrant will be given out for your arrest after 30 days, which means you're in desertion status. Some people they will send out to apprehend, some people they won't ever bother. There is too many UA's to deal with. If you get apprehended you will definitely spend time in the brig. Which you do not want to show on your future employment interviews. Brig time is about 30-90 days, after that they'll release you to separations companies, this is where you'll most likely get discharge with an OTH. Brig time is similar to jail time in civilian meaning. So is drug pops. Not very good for future employments. As a former Marine, been through your situation and got out with an OTH. Don't make the same mistake me and others have, stay in, we're in a recession it is a bad time to leave the military. There's a few other reasons not to leave, but this is the main issue as of right now that is affecting everyone. People are getting laid off left, and right, middle class is moving to the 10$ range jobs. They have more education, training, and experience than you do since the Marine Corps doesn't give you crap that you can transition to civilian life besides being a cop of some sort. Competition is tough, and it's about to get a lot worse for the days to come. I understand what it feels like in the Marines, but I would do it again just to finish that contract to save my future employments from blowing up.
I'm sorry, do you have the ability to tell the future? The only advice that is responsible or legal is for the OP to return immediately.

lenny71

I'm sorry, do you have the ability to tell the future? The only advice that is responsible or legal is for the OP to return immediately.
That is a fairly myopic understanding of the situation. The responsible thing to do is seek counsel, wiegh your options and make an informed decision. This is a very serious situation in a young man's life.

ERAUPIKE

That is a fairly myopic understanding of the situation. The responsible thing to do is seek counsel, wiegh your options and make an informed decision. This is a very serious situation in a young man's life.
That would be true in another situation where a crime has already been committed. The very act of being UA or AWOL is the commission of a crime. I don't know a single officer of the court that will advise anyone to further violate Federal law. The only option in any AWOL case is to return and face the military justice system. There is no other way out of these charges. Every day that the OP stays gone makes the potential punishment harsher and the effects on his future more detrimental.

lenny71

There is no other way out of these charges. Every day that the OP stays gone makes the potential punishment harsher and the effects on his future more detrimental.
Unfortunately his decision to go ua was due in part by a lack of knowledge, and poor decision making skills. Returning without some sort of insight will put him back in the same position he was in (only worse). He needs to make the decision to go back, not because it is 'the only decision' but because it is the right and best decision. My specialty is not military law, but the reason this forum exists is to help share legal knowledge. The previous poster was sharing real world knowledge of his experience and also pushing for the OP to surrender himself.

ERAUPIKE

Unfortunately his decision to go ua was due in part by a lack of knowledge, and poor decision making skills. Returning without some sort of insight will put him back in the same position he was in (only worse). He needs to make the decision to go back, not because it is 'the only decision' but because it is the right and best decision. My specialty is not military law, but the reason this forum exists is to help share legal knowledge. The previous poster was sharing real world knowledge of his experience and also pushing for the OP to surrender himself.
The previous poster was sharing information regarding a singular experience with no legal basis for his advice. Military regulations clearly state that a federal warrant will be issued for any deserters. He stated that would not happen. The Marine Corps does employ "chasers" who catch these individuals and return them to their respective commands. There are many cases in which federal warrants have landed deserters in county jail for days or even weeks. My point is that his advice was inaccurate. No matter how much knowledge about the subject one can find there is still only one way to resolve the situation.

The previous poster was sharing information regarding a singular experience with no legal basis for his advice. Military regulations clearly state that a federal warrant will be issued for any deserters. He stated that would not happen. The Marine Corps does employ "chasers" who catch these individuals and return them to their respective commands. There are many cases in which federal warrants have landed deserters in county jail for days or even weeks. My point is that his advice was inaccurate. No matter how much knowledge about the subject one can find there is still only one way to resolve the situation.
I will qoute a few things as long as we are in the qouting business:

IMPORTANT NOTICE
THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS PAGE WERE NOT REVIEWED BY THE EDITORIAL STAFF OR ATTORNEYS AT FREEADVICE.COM. Thousands of professionally prepared and reviewed questions and answers in 130 legal categories are to be found at the Question and Answer pages at FreeAdvice.com.
FreeAdvice Forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues. FreeAdvice does NOT vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any posting or the qualifications of any person responding. Use of the Forums is subject to our Terms and Conditions which prohibit advertisements, solicitations or other commercial messages, or false, defamatory, abusive, vulgar, or harassing messages, and subject violators to a fee for each improper posting. All postings reflect the views of the author but become the property of FreeAdvice. Information on FreeAdvice or a Forum should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who you have retained to represent you. To locate an attorney visit AttorneyPages.com. Copyright since 1995 by Advice Company. All Rights Reserved.

I will emphasise the part that says the forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues.

I am sure the OP was not expecting a response and legal advice from a lawyer, and if he did then he is a lot dumber than I suspect.

He/She took the time to register on this site, then He/She probably read at least some of the fine print...

Haydes

"However if you get pulled over by the Police, and they run your criminal background a warrant will be given out for your arrest after 30 days, which means you're in desertion status. Some people they will send out to apprehend, some people they won't ever bother."

I'm speaking from experience, not by text books. I've met people who's gone UA for longer than 1 year, only reason they've been return is because they chose to return themselves.

Now the fact that if you do get apprehended by local police, they do keep you in county jail for a day, a few days, or for several weeks. After that, the Marines will send down chasers to pick you up from county jail, they like to take their time also.

ERAUPIKE

"However if you get pulled over by the Police, and they run your criminal background a warrant will be given out for your arrest after 30 days, which means you're in desertion status. Some people they will send out to apprehend, some people they won't ever bother."

I'm speaking from experience, not by text books. I've met people who's gone UA for longer than 1 year, only reason they've been return is because they chose to return themselves.

Now the fact that if you do get apprehended by local police, they do keep you in county jail for a day, a few days, or for several weeks. After that, the Marines will send down chasers to pick you up from county jail, they like to take their time also.
I am sure it is just as hard for everyone else to understand your poorly articulated posts.

kill1775

what about smoking weed, how does that work in the marine core.

like if all i wanted was a discharge so i smoke weed and go UA for a week, what would happen?

ERAUPIKE

like if all i wanted was a discharge so i smoke weed and go UA for a week, what would happen?
There is not anyone here that can advise you to break the law. I will not report this post in the hopes will stop posting your asinine questions here.

If you are discharged from the Marine Corps due to drug use you will find it difficult, if not impossible, to find gainful employment for decades. The Marine Corps is required by Federal Law to provide you with help with any drug or alcohol problems you may have. You will be recommended for inpatient rehab after you have finished your sentence in the brig. (You can expect anywhere from 1 month to 9 months of brig time) If you fail this rehab then you will face further charges and possibly more brig time. You will not be released from the Marine Corps until all time has been served and your SARP program is complete. SARP can last anywhere from 6 weeks to 18 weeks.

You are looking at some very serious repurcussions even if you simply go UA. Adding drug use will only compound your present issues and completely destroy any chances you had for future employment. I sincerely wish you decide to be a man and finish your time in the Marine Corps.

hopepb123

go back

my husband is a sargent in the military, and a good friend of his did what u did but he was gone for 2 years eventually he was picked up by the police and returned to base, were they sent him to a military prison for going ua, i know every situation is different but ur best bet is to go back turn ur self in and face the consiquences before it gets worse for you, what you are doing is breaking the law.

Haydes

If you do that you'll end up in the brig. Everyone get's drug tested as they return from UA. You get a BCD, bad conduct discharge rather than just a misconduct discharge on your DD214 discharge papers. Not a great thing to look at if you are questioned from employers. An OTH isn't a great thing either, just stay in. After a year or so request a MOS change, if you like civilian life, get a MOS that you can transition to the civilian life with. They'll give everyone a second chance, even drug users.

kill1775

job is not a problem for me, money is not a problem for me either. I just want out and don't care what discharge i get. I play poker professionally making about 2000$ a month. I joined the core to see what its like....hate everyone hate my life day to day and i'm not gonna suffer out another 3 years.

just looking to get kicked out any way i can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">