• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

upgrading a general discharge under honorable conditions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DanielL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia.

Ok this is a long story and i know it's very long shot but i wanted to get second opinions. I was discharged from the navy after being accused of smoking spice, i did not smoke it, there was no evidence i smoked, no urinalysis or even a gear locker search, just the word of another sailor, who was loosely connected to me via being a friend of a friend who was caught with it and thus a massive witch hunt was initiated with rumors and accusations flying everywhere, in the end during captains mast (in which there were 7 spice related mast's that day) it was down to either admit it and receive a general UHC or keep denying and receive an OTH, round 1 i remained firm and denied to which i was humiliated by the captain and even had a sailor i had considered a friend point me out, that was a low blow in it's self but not relevant, and given an OTH despite the support of my chief and LPO, my division officer could not get involved as she was also the ships legal officer. When i was sent outside after the sentence the other sailors involved convinced me to go back in and confess to get a general UHC which i did because i was panicking. Needless to say this put me in a very bad spot, having admited i lost all rights to appeal the mast and i doubt i could have disproved it any ways as there was no evidence just hearsay of another sailor. Despite the emotional trauma this caused of being called a liar and betrayal of what i thought was a friend and feeling like a second class citizen, i'm out and trying to move on in life but i feel that this is seriously affecting my job finding ability, in the 6 months since i put out on average 10 applications a week of which only 2 part time jobs have called for interviews but no offers and i was rejected from several colleges that i know i should have gotten into (because i was accepted into them before i enlisted.), if any, to try and move forward in life. I considered trying to upgrade my discharge so i could at least recover the GI bill but after further research it appears that all drug related charges are automatic no go's, a curious thing though is that my seperation code on my dd214 is listed for commission of serious offense instead of drug use. I am wondering just how negatively this is affecting me and what is a recommended course of action, if there is one to take.

ERAUPIKE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia.

Ok this is a long story and i know it's very long shot but i wanted to get second opinions. I was discharged from the navy after being accused of smoking spice, i did not smoke it, there was no evidence i smoked, no urinalysis or even a gear locker search, just the word of another sailor, who was loosely connected to me via being a friend of a friend who was caught with it and thus a massive witch hunt was initiated with rumors and accusations flying everywhere, in the end during captains mast (in which there were 7 spice related mast's that day) it was down to either admit it and receive a general UHC or keep denying and receive an OTH, round 1 i remained firm and denied to which i was humiliated by the captain and even had a sailor i had considered a friend point me out, that was a low blow in it's self but not relevant, and given an OTH despite the support of my chief and LPO, my division officer could not get involved as she was also the ships legal officer. When i was sent outside after the sentence the other sailors involved convinced me to go back in and confess to get a general UHC which i did because i was panicking. Needless to say this put me in a very bad spot, having admited i lost all rights to appeal the mast and i doubt i could have disproved it any ways as there was no evidence just hearsay of another sailor. Despite the emotional trauma this caused of being called a liar and betrayal of what i thought was a friend and feeling like a second class citizen, i'm out and trying to move on in life but i feel that this is seriously affecting my job finding ability, in the 6 months since i put out on average 10 applications a week of which only 2 part time jobs have called for interviews but no offers and i was rejected from several colleges that i know i should have gotten into (because i was accepted into them before i enlisted.), if any, to try and move forward in life. I considered trying to upgrade my discharge so i could at least recover the GI bill but after further research it appears that all drug related charges are automatic no go's, a curious thing though is that my seperation code on my dd214 is listed for commission of serious offense instead of drug use. I am wondering just how negatively this is affecting me and what is a recommended course of action, if there is one to take.
Easy answer.

There is a simple test to see if your discharge is eligible to be upgraded. In fact, I will conduct it for you right now for free.

1. Was you discharge given unjustly? No
Despite what you may think, admitting to drug use qualifies you to be discharged under the Navy's well known Zero Tolerance policy.

2. Was your discharge given in error? No

There is your answer. Despite what anyone may tell you, the NDRB will only change your discharge status for those two reasons. If drug use is not listed on your DD-214 then you may still be eligible for the GI Bill. Go to the VA website and apply. It can only get better for you from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">