• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

upgrading a general discharge under honorable conditions-US Navy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BonusRound

What is the name of your state ( U.S. law)? Florida
I was wondering what is the possibility my general under honorable conditions discharge will be upgraded to honorable discharge? I served in the Navy early 90's for 2 years and 9 months. I served on a ship and on a ship there is a unofficial hierarchy based upon your rate. I was a OS and OS's are at the top of the food chain. The joke is we were the first off the ship and last on the ship when it came for liberty. The other joke is that we have the cleanest uniforms because OS's don't do any real work. Deck(Deck Apes) and Engineering(Pit Snipes) are on the bottom. As you can expect there really isn't to much intermingling outside of your dept even when you are off. Well I did my job as expected of me, I just didn't socialize within my department. I socialized with deck and engineering. My friendships ended up being with deck and engineering. This was one of the reasons I wasn't too liked in my dept. The other reason was that I was a African American not associating with my own kind. All of my friends were white so this didn't win me fans in that area either. I was considered the proverbial oreo. My LPO(senior E-7) had a ax to grind with me and suggested I needed to stop my associations outside of my dept. it was well known in other departments how much my LPO despised me and this was the motivation behind the campaign against me by my LPO who was quite popular. I did track down my LPO after all this time sent off a email to him on Facebook and never got a reply to it, I did notice through his wall he checked his account frequently.
I was Captains Mast'd for sleeping on watch, while on Aft Lookout even though I had proof I wasn't( the person on engineering and the other person and another person on the bridge) willing to testify I was engaged in conversation. The problem was a Lt. Cmdr from a visiting readiness group halfway across the flight deck expected me to hear him calling me while on sound powered phones. Sometimes we played games on the phones of some scenario. Basically you keeping the time going by and the game going. I appealed my Captains Mast and got a Admin Board. Even at the Admin Board my witnesses were not allowed to testify by their departments pressure. OS's are the top of the food chain on a ship. There was one person in my department that stood up for me and was directly supervisory over me(E-4) his testimony only held so much weight compared to the higher personnel in my department. I have found some people from back then who are willing to write letters on my behalf who can now be forthcoming with the information they were not able to before. When I found my old LPO I had hoped I could get him to talk to me about things from back then and see if he would do the right thing and admit to certain things that he had done or had others do but I have accepted after all this time he probably will never come clean. I am in school and hope that by upgrading my discharge I may be able to secure gov't contracts with the business I am starting after a few years of operating under my belt. A coworker is going to take the test for immigration officer and suggested I come with him, he knows i served but not the details of my serving and departure. I was going to submit my upgrade papers and the letters from the past personnel or would it be better to hire a lawyer that would specialize in miliary law. What is the average cost for a lawyer of this type?

ERAUPIKE

what is the possibility my general under honorable conditions discharge will be upgraded to honorable discharge?
Slim to none. Get your paperwork and statements together and subit your case to the NDRB.

What is the average cost for a lawyer of this type?
That is a difficult question to answer. It is easier to give you a range. A lawyer could cost you anywhere from several hundred to several thousand dollars.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">