• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are we legally divorced?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ejulian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My husband & I thought we divorced in 1976 while he was active Air Force and stationed in Korea. I filed in Nueces County(Corpus Christi), Texas. We've since reconciled but found a copy of the original divorce papers that he claims he never recieved or signed any divorce papers, also upon reviewing the divorce documents we both agree it is NOT his signature that signed the papers. It is his name that someone else signed. Before reconciling we both went on to remarry and have children and divorced those partner's. The person we believe is responsible for this is now deceased and was a close family member. Being that it's obvious he did not sign these documents and someone obviously forged his signature, are we still legally married? And what other legal ramifications could befall us from marrying other people?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

xylene

What do you mean by 'reconciled'?

Are you living together, and / or planning to remarry? or do you mean you decided to become friends.

I guess what I am asking is, is this water under the bridge or is this new terrain?

If you and your probable ex husband plan to remarry you should consult with a family law expert before filing ANYTHING and ABSOLUTELY get a lawyers opinion before informing your other ex spouses of this matter.

Yes, you were legally divorced.

First, the signature is presumed to be your ex's unless he proves otherwise. So, you can both ignore the forgery and continue on with life as if he did sign the papers.

Second, even if he wants to make an issue out of the forgery, the fact that it occurred over 30 years ago, and that you have both remarried/divorced again, means that any argument of forgery would probably be thrown out of court. If he wanted to make an issue out of the forgery, he should have done it 30+ years ago.

ejulian

Legally Married?

What do you mean by 'reconciled'?

Are you living together, and / or planning to remarry? or do you mean you decided to become friends.

I guess what I am asking is, is this water under the bridge or is this new terrain?

If you and your probable ex husband plan to remarry you should consult with a family law expert before filing ANYTHING and ABSOLUTELY get a lawyers opinion before informing your other ex spouses of this matter.

Hello,

Thank you so much for replying. Yes we are living together and want to remarry or renew our vows.

ejulian

Yes, you were legally divorced.

First, the signature is presumed to be your ex's unless he proves otherwise. So, you can both ignore the forgery and continue on with life as if he did sign the papers.

Second, even if he wants to make an issue out of the forgery, the fact that it occurred over 30 years ago, and that you have both remarried/divorced again, means that any argument of forgery would probably be thrown out of court. If he wanted to make an issue out of the forgery, he should have done it 30+ years ago.
Hello,

Thank you so much for replying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">