• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What usually happens if you stop showing up for National Guard?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Habeed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I'm trying to get out of my National Guard unit the legit way, but I am curious what would happen if I simply didn't show up. I've read all sorts of horror stories about desertion and AWOL and missing movement and court marshalls. So, I know that in theory, the consequences can be dire.

Now, my unit is trying to get my discharged medically, and I was told that the discharge would be a General : Under Honorable conditions. I had to sign that form saying I might face "substantial prejudice" in civilian life. But, I looked into it, and it seems like the "substantial prejudice" is worth taking my chances over. It's certainly better than losing 2 years in Iraq and taking the 20% chance of PTSD. I've been accepted to a podiatry school, and so I'm willing to take my chances with future prejudice.

I asked my unit NCO what kind of discharge the people get who don't show. I had heard that despite all the hot air about dire consequences, people who don't show get sent AWOL letters, followed by a warrant for 4 days, followed by lifting the warrant and a mailing of a DD214 after 6 months or so.

She also told me that the discharge was usually General : Under Honorable Conditions!!!???

That seemed like baloney to me : the only way these people can keep us in, doing all this dangerous stupid stuff and destroying our civilian careers is by threatening to write nasty things on the DD214.

But maybe I'm wrong, after all, half this **** they tell us in the Army turns out to be hot air. Maybe it takes too much paperwork to give people Other Than Honorable discharges or something.

What do you guys think?

First, I'm not advising you to break the law. I'm only telling you the consequences if you choose to do so...

Good news --- If you miss enough drills, you likely will get kicked out for unsatisfactory participation. See www.objector.org/helpingout/Helpingoutchapters/17_Reservist Unsatisfactory.pdf

Bad news --- It is unlikely to happen, but you could suffer penalties under state law for not showing up (exception--- if you are in Pennsylvania, count on problems from the state). It is also theoretically possible that you could activated into active duty as punishment or be sent to the IRR.

If you have a medical discharge pending, you probably should give that time to go through.

Good luck and hope you get free from the machine!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">