• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wife left, demanding money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapoftheworld3

This question is actually for my brother. He got married in February, and his wife left him in April. He has been paying her half of his BAH since she left.

Heres the thing, he already filed for divorce and sent her the papers, but she wont sign the papers or send them back, and is still demanding the money. Does he have to pay her since he already filed?

This girl was obviously just out for a free ride, they were only married for 2 months when she left. He lives in Washington state if that helps.

Isis1

This question is actually for my brother. He got married in February, and his wife left him in April. He has been paying her half of his BAH since she left.

Heres the thing, he already filed for divorce and sent her the papers, but she wont sign the papers or send them back, and is still demanding the money. Does he have to pay her since he already filed?

This girl was obviously just out for a free ride, they were only married for 2 months when she left. He lives in Washington state if that helps.
third party questions are harder to answer.

so, when did your brother report to his commanding officer his wife left the home?

Isis1

Almost as soon as she left. He had to file for divorce in order to move back into the barracks.
we have someone here versed in military law.

so my statement will be pretty generic until that person comes along. don't give anything to the ex until there is a court order requiring such.

Remember why you want a divorce. To get away from that person!

Don't give her anything unless it is out of the goodness in your heart or ordered by some authority.

Keep records of any finical transactions dealing with future ex wife or husband, they tend to lie.

If she is not sending the paperwork back,that means she contest the divorce and your brother needs to be ready for some legal divorce battle. Get a divorce lawyer to move things along.

Tell your bro to keep his nose clean, nothing can stop his wife from complaining constantly to his command, which could bring unwanted attention relevant or not.

Flip it back on her. If she won't play your game don't play hers. Get new phone numbers and NEW BANK ACCOUNTS. Don't leave any past access open for her to violate you. If she cusses you out and threatens stuff, get a restraining order and keep all communication between the lawyers.

You have to run the race or it will run you.

LdiJ

The military requires that he provide her a specific percentage (I don't know if its 50% or not) of his BAH until any divorce is final. Therefore yes, until his divorce is final he has to continue to provide her what the military requires.

ERAUPIKE

The military requires that he provide her a specific percentage (I don\'t know if its 50% or not) of his BAH until any divorce is final. Therefore yes, until his divorce is final he has to continue to provide her what the military requires.
Cite the regulation please

mapoftheworld3

He gets out of the army in 2 months anyways, and honestly she probably doesn't have a clue as to who to call. From what it seems, she's all bark and no bite. She's a low life 20 year old who didn't finish high school (or get a GED) and has never had a job in her life. What kind of trouble could she really get him in, seeing as he's about to get out anyway?

TinkerBelleLuvr

He gets out of the army in 2 months anyways, and honestly she probably doesn't have a clue as to who to call. From what it seems, she's all bark and no bite. She's a low life 20 year old who didn't finish high school (or get a GED) and has never had a job in her life. What kind of trouble could she really get him in, seeing as he's about to get out anyway?
Says much about your brother, no? He IS the one that married her, right?

ERAUPIKE

If you already had your mind made up as to what he should do, why did you ask for our opinion?

Poor advice, your brother is required to support his wife by military regulations. All it takes for him to get in trouble is one call from the wife to his chain of command. He doesn\'t want that call to happen, ever.

The best thing for him to do is get a lawyer to help him with the situation.
No you brother is not required to support his estranged wife.
She can't just make demands "PAY ME"!

Anybody that takes your advice eraupike would end up paying when they don't have to, making them poor.

She left, it is reasonable to believe he has no ideal where to send any money much less all of his BAH to a wife he has only been married to for a few months and now won't return his calls.

I already said be prepared for her to call and spread lies.

As long as your BAH is paying for a residence there is no regulation saying you have to spend it on her domicile of choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

ERAUPIKE

No you brother is not required to support his estranged wife.
She can't just make demands "PAY ME"!
Yes she can. It is part of marrying someone, unless you can show a regulation that refutes AR 608-99. :rolleyes:

Anybody that takes your advice eraupike would end up paying when they don't have to, making them poor.
They do have to. Why don't you provide a regulation that supports your claim. As far as I can tell your advice, which is poorly written and based purely on your opinion, is just going to compound the problem.

She left, it is reasonable to believe he has no ideal where to send any money much less all of his BAH to a wife he has only been married to for a few months and now won't return his calls.
No, it isn't. He knew where to send the divorce papers. He is only sending half of his BAH. Where does it state that she isn't returning his calls? Did you even read the post? :D

I would not advise anyone to lie, it is just irresponsible.

I already said be prepared for her to call and spread lies.
They are not lies if he is not following regulation requiring him to support her. His chain of command will not hesitate to put him through the wringer for non-support of a dependent.

As long as your BAH is paying for a residence there is no regulation saying you have to spend it on her domicile of choice.
Actually, there is a regulation stating that he must support his wife as long as he is in the military, which is for two more months. I'm guessing that detail flew past you, based on your comprehension of the rest of the post. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Here's an excerpt from a Fort Hood Sentinel article that I refer Soldiers to frequently:

"Army Regulation 608-99 (Family Support, Child Custody and Paternity) sets the Army’s policy on responsibilities and procedures for financial support.

The regulation also includes regulatory standards relating to child custody, visitation matters, paternity cases and compliance with court orders, as required by law to Family members of Soldiers. AR 608-99 ensures a Soldier’s Family receives proper care and financial support as required.

For example, if a Soldier is separated from his or her spouse, the full amount of Basic Allowance for Housing Type II would be paid to the spouse and children. Keep in mind that each situation can vary. Therefore, consult with the servicing staff judge advocate or inspector general for assistance for a particular situation.

The Army recognizes the transient nature of military duty. However, AR 608-99 prohibits the use of a Soldier’s military status or assignment as reason or cause to deny financial support to Family members. Soldiers must continue to support Family members as long as there is a legal obligation by marriage or custody and until there is a valid court order, written agreement, or proper relief from the chain of command as outlined in the regulation.
Let’s look at a hypothetical scenario; Staff Sgt. John Doe and his wife, Jane, were separated in October 2008.

The next month Jane calls the Inspector General Office and requests assistance, reporting that the Soldier is not providing any financial support to his Family. The IG will then notify the Soldier’s commander to ensure AR 608-99 is properly applied. In this simple case, the Soldier pays the required BAH II rate of $872.10 – the 2009 BAH II rate for a staff sergeant in support of his Family.

Until a divorce decree terminating the marriage is provided, the Soldier is required to provide continuous financial support to his dependents. The Soldier and his wife have two children and the children reside with their mother. (emphasis added)"

Separated spouses entitled to financial support from Soldier - News - Fort Hood Sentinel

Last edited:

mapoftheworld3

I asked for LEGAL advice, because no matter what my opinion is, that doesnt make it the law.

Some of you are just rude. No, it doesn't say a lot about my brother that he married her. She's a manipulative person, she made him believe she loved him with all her heart and that she wanted to be with him forever. She pretended to be looking for a job & swore she'd get her GED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">