• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wife in trouble, can they touch me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NowAspouse

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I'm a former Marine so I'm not totally blind to ucmj, but some things are fishy here...

ok, my wife is deployed and has been accused of some things and was officially charged. I honestly dont think they have any evidence against her. (assuming I know everything)

Here is my question. They have some information from our marraige past that I dont know how they could have gotten. No one knew this information but us, however there is an old email in my hotmail account folders that contains this info.

I suspect that is where they got it from. Can the legaly check my email? No one notified me of anything, the only reason I even know there is an investigation is because she told me what is going on. woudlnt they need a warrent to check this? Wouldnt i be notified?

also, is an investigator obligated to provide creditials to someone they are questioning? what if they didnt?

thanks

Last edited:

SHORTY LONG

I'm a former Marine so I'm not totally blind to ucmj, but some things are fishy here...

ok, my wife is deployed and has been accused of some things and was officially charged. I honestly dont think they have any evidence against her. (assuming I know everything)

Here is my question. They have some information from our marraige past that I dont know how they could have gotten. No one knew this information but us, however there is an old email in my hotmail account folders that contains this info.

I suspect that is where they got it from. Can the legaly check my email? No one notified me of anything, the only reason I even know there is an investigation is because she told me what is going on. woudlnt they need a warrent to check this? Wouldnt i be notified?

also, is an investigator obligated to provide creditials to someone they are questioning? what if they didnt?

thanks
Given the state we are in, and where she is stationed presently, check the
"Patriot Act" where yes, most likely they can check all mail, and all forms of
communication.

fozzy2

There are such a thing as "peek" warrants where law enforcement does not have to inform you that a search has taken place. They are usually rather rare, however, and normally found in the context of national security investigations. Is someone accused of being a spy? It is possible they found the message someplace other than in your email account. The message may have traveled through any number of servers/computers, been copied or forwarded, stored on a computer where someone pulled it up to read (a government computer?), etc. The problem is that if you ask them specifically if they got the info from your account -- and they didn't -- they now know you have an account that might have relevant information and might go ahead and get a warrant for it. An investigator probably doesn't have to show you credentials unless you ask them to, or there is a situation where they have to warn you of your rights, etc.

depends on status

thanks
If you live overseas as a dependent the service has gone the extra mile to go after a dependent if they have done something wrong. If you are stateside and living on base, they could remove you from the base and deny you access with the exeception of doctor visits or things which you might need access to. If you live off post, they cannot touch youl, beyond reporting you to local authorities if you hav committed a crime.

On the other hand as a former marine, if you committed a crime during your active duty years and have now gotten out, they can call you back (bring you back to service) and charge you. This would be a drastic measure and is reserved for those crimes in which the death penalty is applicable and there is no stateside law to cover your offense, ie you murdered and raped civilians during a time of war, you raped, committed serious crimes in another country (japan, korea, italy, etc).

Ozark_Sophist

A warrant would be needed to access email storage devices (servers). But if the email was sent from/to a government computer, then a warrant would not necessarily be needed under the employment exemption. In addition, national security may come into play.

NowAspouse

No, I dont live on base,, I am stateside. THis has nothing to do with being a spy or anything like that.

Ive never been charged with anything in my life, and my contract is completly up.

here is the thing. She is using MY personal laptop computer over there, but it is hooked to a contactor's net work.

I use regular hotmail, I would think they would need a warrent to get my info, and this case is not serious enough to get one. the email i am referring to is an old email that was stored in my hotmail folders. Never passed over gov servers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">