• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful incarceration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stephan coker

What is the name of your state?****land

3 years ago i was taken to a general court-martial for allegedly using marijuana with absolutely no physical evidence. i was convicted and spent 6 months in jail. in sept 2005 my case finally went before the appeals board and it was completely dismissed, i am getting full restoration to include my honorable discharge, my g.i. bill, and roughly a year in back pay. my question is this...is there any way for me to get compensation for the mental anguish of spending 6 months in jail for nothing? if i would have to sue the government, how would i go about it and where would i find a lawyer that could handle a case like this?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

JETX

stephan coker said:
is there any way for me to get compensation for the mental anguish of spending 6 months in jail for nothing?
Unless you can PROVE that their conduct in the investigation or prosecution was negligent or with malice, no.

badapple40

Even if he can prove malice, no relief -- its that whole Feres doctrine thing.

OP gets relief, including appropriate back promotions that might be due under Article 75.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">