• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Year-old Army ROTC Disenrollment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SupaSam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I was disenrolled by Army ROTC for failure to pass the PT test 2 times in a row last year and I elected to pay back the scholarship. Aside from not being able to pay back the money, I felt like I was being singled out because the cadre didn't really like me and I was going through some emotional turmoil at the time and definitely wasn't as focused as I should have been. I had gone through 4 years of ROTC and had graduated LDAC as well, then they sprung the disenrollment on me and I was out of there. I had been on academic probation before, but I had gotten my grades back up at the end of the Spring semester with a 3.4 and ended up with a sum 2.9 GPA. But I graduated/was disenrolled in the summer semester for the PT test failure and not for grades. I had gotten my grades up before I failed the 2nd pt test (both due only to failing pushups and not having around 30 of my pushups counted both times) and they didn't take me off probation and instead used the 2nd PT test as my "3rd strike" so to speak.

But I have moved on; finished my degree, got married, joined the National Guard and graduated from Infantry OSUT. It still bothers me at times and I feel like I just took the disenrollment laying down. I was googling the subject the other day and I came across some lawyers who specialize in ROTC disenrollments. It doesn't seem like a lot of lawyers do this sort of thing, but I called a couple and they both said that I still had an option to possibly appeal the disenrollment. At the same time, another lawyer said that there was nothing that he or I could do at this point since I already elected to pay back the scholarship. I feel like I was wrongly disenrolled, and feel that I am resilient enough and smart and strong enough to be an Army officer. I'm here asking if there are anymore options because this is a real financial burdon on my family and I; especially since we do have a baby on the way and I want to provide it with the best future I can. If anything, is there anyway that I can get the debt forgiven in some way or another? I know that I screwed up big time and shouldn't have gotten disenrolled in the first place, so save the condemnation. Advice only, please. I will give more details if/when asked. Thank you.

xylene

The honest lawyer who said you already agreed to repay...

Sounds like that lawyer is not after more of your money.

SupaSam

I know

I know what it sounds like and I've already thought about a possible scam. Its just that if it is possible, I am going to do it. I know that a crooked lawyer would prey upon hat, so that's why I'm reseatching te best I can before I commit to anything. I'm trying to geta for sure answer from here, either yes or no, from someone who knows what they're talking about. No, "sounds like," or "I think."

ecmst12

Anyone who claims to be able to give you a "for sure" answer based on an internet forum post is lying anyway.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
For some reason, I wonder if the military really wants an officer that plays the finger-pointing game instead of taking personal responsibility...

umkemesic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I was disenrolled by Army ROTC for failure to pass the PT test 2 times in a row last year and I elected to pay back the scholarship. Aside from not being able to pay back the money, I felt like I was being singled out because the cadre didn't really like me and I was going through some emotional turmoil at the time and definitely wasn't as focused as I should have been. I had gone through 4 years of ROTC and had graduated LDAC as well, then they sprung the disenrollment on me and I was out of there. I had been on academic probation before, but I had gotten my grades back up at the end of the Spring semester with a 3.4 and ended up with a sum 2.9 GPA. But I graduated/was disenrolled in the summer semester for the PT test failure and not for grades. I had gotten my grades up before I failed the 2nd pt test (both due only to failing pushups and not having around 30 of my pushups counted both times) and they didn't take me off probation and instead used the 2nd PT test as my "3rd strike" so to speak.

But I have moved on; finished my degree, got married, joined the National Guard and graduated from Infantry OSUT. It still bothers me at times and I feel like I just took the disenrollment laying down. I was googling the subject the other day and I came across some lawyers who specialize in ROTC disenrollments. It doesn't seem like a lot of lawyers do this sort of thing, but I called a couple and they both said that I still had an option to possibly appeal the disenrollment. At the same time, another lawyer said that there was nothing that he or I could do at this point since I already elected to pay back the scholarship. I feel like I was wrongly disenrolled, and feel that I am resilient enough and smart and strong enough to be an Army officer. I'm here asking if there are anymore options because this is a real financial burdon on my family and I; especially since we do have a baby on the way and I want to provide it with the best future I can. If anything, is there anyway that I can get the debt forgiven in some way or another? I know that I screwed up big time and shouldn't have gotten disenrolled in the first place, so save the condemnation. Advice only, please. I will give more details if/when asked. Thank you.

Based on what you said you only recourse would be if the Army did not follow their rules in discharging you:

http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r145_1.pdf (page 25). I.E. If you were entitled to a board but did not receive one, the other phantom PT test may be an issue. But in my opinion its weak and he-said-she-said.

Have you looked into the Army's College Loan Repayment Program? Also you may be eligible for OTS - which will give you a considerable pay bump. Your education was not wasted, you still have the GI Bill and that will pay for a Master's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">