• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Backing out of refinancing BEFORE closing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jay968

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

We applied to refinance our house on October 23. It's now November 26. All closing fees except the appraisal fee (which we paid out of pocket) were to have been rolled into the mortgage payments. We have not yet closed and for various reasons have decided not to go ahead with the refinance at the present time.
I have sent the loan officer and the underwriter emails alerting them of our decision.
1 - Is the email that I sent enough or should we send a certified letter to the company of our decision?
2 - Will they (can they) likely bill us for any fees they may have incurred during the process so far. I read someplace that in a refi, there is no obligation to pay such fees. Is this true?

Dave1952

1) Yes, always wise to send a letter.
2) Surely you signed some sort of agreement when you started the refinance. I'd look there for cancellation info. Expect to pay for the "out of pocket" of the finance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">