• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buying House from Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1sttimebuyer

Delaware

My mother recently passed away. She owned a home in which she still carried a small mortgage. There are 2 beneficiaries. My sister and I. We are both co-executors. I would like to purchase the house by paying off the current mortgage and then paying my sister out her half of the equity based on the price we were going to sell it for before I decided to purchase. She is agreeable to this. I'm not sure where to start. Does anyone have an idea of how to make this the most cost effective transfer? I will have to take out a mortgage to pay off her mortgage and to pay my sister out her equity.

LdiJ

Delaware

My mother recently passed away. She owned a home in which she still carried a small mortgage. There are 2 beneficiaries. My sister and I. We are both co-executors. I would like to purchase the house by paying off the current mortgage and then paying my sister out her half of the equity based on the price we were going to sell it for before I decided to purchase. She is agreeable to this. I'm not sure where to start. Does anyone have an idea of how to make this the most cost effective transfer? I will have to take out a mortgage to pay off her mortgage and to pay my sister out her equity.
In my personal opinion the best way to handle it is through a title company or real estate attorney...treating it as no different than any other sale of property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">