• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can adverse possession be enacted on a foreclosed home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liquidmetalix

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NewYork

I have been living in a apartment in a private home in staten island since august of last year.
I found out in december that the home was not owned by the person who had rented it to me, and that it was illegally rented to me and my family.
eventually in february the bank that claimed the house was foreclosed sent someone to serve us a "notice to quit premises after sale" notice, claiming the home had been sold 2 years ago and provided us with copies of the deed and title as proof. We have not left the home as of late, because of lack of money to move. The electric bill for the first floor is in my name and the second floor is in my wifes name. The gas bill is in my name. We have been paying our utilities for the home and i have made repairs to home and mowed the grass and such.
I was told I might be able to claim adverse possession on the property and I wanted to know if I could and if so how would I go about doing it in New York.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NewYork

I have been living in a apartment in a private home in staten island since august of last year.
I found out in december that the home was not owned by the person who had rented it to me, and that it was illegally rented to me and my family.
eventually in february the bank that claimed the house was foreclosed sent someone to serve us a "notice to quit premises after sale" notice, claiming the home had been sold 2 years ago and provided us with copies of the deed and title as proof. We have not left the home as of late, because of lack of money to move. The electric bill for the first floor is in my name and the second floor is in my wifes name. The gas bill is in my name. We have been paying our utilities for the home and i have made repairs to home and mowed the grass and such.
I was told I might be able to claim adverse possession on the property and I wanted to know if I could and if so how would I go about doing it in New York.
**A: you have no claim to real estate and only have limited rights as a holdover tenant.

Pojo

Find a new place to live and don't be surprised when the police knock on the door to throw you out on your ears.

The person that told you about adverse possession is really and idiot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">