• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Banks keep a cancelled loan, signed, notarized 1st trust deeds?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PeregrineFalcon

Can a Bank keep the original, signed, notarized 1st TD from a cancelled loan?

What is the name of your state? CA

We recently applied for a Refinance loan with a new bank. It was approved, but then subsequently cancelled within the three day cancellation period due to personal reasons. The bank will not return to us the notarized, signed Trust Deed that was executed by us, as per my request. It was a 1st TD. They state that they are required to keep it for their records. They will not give me a notarized copy of the original that has marked/stamped cancelled/void either. Is this legal? It is, after all, still a viable document for all intents and purposes is it not? I Would welcome any input on this matter.
PeregrineFalcon

Last edited:

HomeGuru

PeregrineFalcon said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

We recently applied for a Refinance loan with a new bank. It was approved, but then subsequently cancelled within the three day cancellation period due to personal reasons. The bank will not return to us the notarized, signed Trust Deed that was executed by us, as per my request. It was a 1st TD. They state that they are required to keep it for their records. They will not give me a notarized copy of the original that has marked/stamped cancelled/void either. Is this legal? It is, after all, still a viable document for all intents and purposes is it not? I Would welcome any input on this matter.
PeregrineFalcon

**A: the bank is telling you crap. They can very well keep a copy and return the original.

PeregrineFalcon

Criminal Charges warranted?

State-CA
If I suspect fraud, (and I have reason too) would I be warranted in filing criminal charges against the bank? If so, where? The bank and the location of the document is in one county and the signing took place in another. Which county would have jurisdiction?

HomeGuru

PeregrineFalcon said:
State-CA
If I suspect fraud, (and I have reason too) would I be warranted in filing criminal charges against the bank? If so, where? The bank and the location of the document is in one county and the signing took place in another. Which county would have jurisdiction?

**A: do some research on the bank and who regulates it. If it is under federal regulation then you can sue in state or federal court. The county location does not matter in civil state court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">