• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I collect rent on my dead dads property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sammy2012

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

He never finalized his will but my other siblings dont care if I collect the rent because it was a verbal arrangement I had with my father.

The house was in default before he passed away while he collected the rent.

The tenant is a friend but is a pain to collect rent from so I need to be sure I have legal grounds to collect.

Now that he is gone is it ok for me to collect the rent from the home while his name is still on title?

Do I need to put it in probate or anything for it to be legal?

Thank You!

justalayman

Unless you are the executor or personal administrator of your fathers estate, you have absolutely no legal right to collect the rent from his property. It is an asset of the estate and must be dealt with in the manner all the estates assets and debts are.

Then, if you are exec or PR of the estate, any money collected goes into the estate funds and is used to pay debts, if any, of the estate.

tranquility

I agree with justalayman. The OP does not have standing to bring any action in court regarding the property except to open probate.

OHRoadwarrior

If the house's ownership has been taken over by the lender, you have no standing to ever collect a penny, unless you buy the property.

Alliee

If you decide to rent the property, you will be responsible for keeping the unit in safe and habitable condition, making repairs, selecting tenants and collecting rent from tenants.

sandyclaus

If you decide to rent the property, you will be responsible for keeping the unit in safe and habitable condition, making repairs, selecting tenants and collecting rent from tenants.
That's a DUH. The issue is not what his responsibilities would be, but rather the fact that he has no authority to rent the property out himself at all.

I smell another SPAMMER.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">