• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does bank have to inform you if they sell your loan at discount?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angelina29

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
My bank sold my heloc loan at a discount but gave the buyer a full assignment. I learned of this sale the same month when I sold a property to the same buyers who bought the loan. Originally the buyers were to pay off this loan and get credit against the property they were buying from me. The buyers had a release for me from the loan but I refused to close on my property without something in writing the bank was paid in full. The bank VP was called to closing, told me verbally it was fully paid but said couldnt put it in writing as the bank no longer owned it or had any interest in it. Digging ,y heels in he finally signed a statement I owed the bank nothing, I got the release from the buyers holding the loan and thought all good. Until I found the bank reporting a defficiency in collection (no attempts to collect made) later changed to a charge off on my credit. I disputed this with the bureaus with the statement I owed nothing but bank replied it was a short sale. They have never sent a 1099c. Is that legal? At best it seems like fraud and deception on behalf of the bank at worst conspiracy with the bank and buyers.

OHRoadwarrior

Ask your lawyer. There is a standard clause allowing reassignment/sale of loans in a lenders contract. The fact it went to the purchaser you sold it to, indicates there is more to this than a standard transaction going on.

justalayman

The deal between the two creditors is between them. You owe what you owe based on your contract. The current creditor could sell me your loan for $1 but you would still owe me the same amount as you owed them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">