• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-wife's name on mortgage and deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SandieTN

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My husband and I have been married over 5 years, but his ex-wife's name is still on the deed and mortgage. Their divorce papers gave him complete control of the house, but he never filed any official paperwork.

My question is this: I think his wife can file a "quit-claim" on the property, and that will take care of that; but I don't think the mortgage company will like that. Short of refinancing, which is an option, what can we do to get her name off the mortgage?

I have never dealt with anything like this, and don't know what the options may be.

He should have refinanced the property at the time of the divorce. He will need to refinance and have her sign the quit claim deed at closing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">