• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Adrinick

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois. When I was married we bought a home and about a year later we separated and I filed for a divorce it took 3 years for the divorce to be final. I had gave her the house and in my divorce papers it states she has one year to refinance and take me off of the loan, I did a quit claim deed before we got divorced also, the house foreclosed and now is on my credit report and I'm trying to buy a house once again but this is a big negative on the report. Is there a way I can remove this from my credit report or challenge it since she was per say in a contract so to say? It seems as though she let the house foreclose on purpose like she had no intention on keeping the house.

FlyingRon

Nope. The lender doesn't give a darn about your divorce. You agreed to be responsible when you took the loan out. Frankly, I'd not have deeded the property over without being refi'd off the mortgage (I'm not sure why you did this ESPECIALLY before you were divorced).

Dandy Don

The credit agency is supposed to allow you to make a few explanatory comments on the report if you choose to do so. Contact a credit reporting agency to find out how to do that.

Adrinick

Sorry for the late response thanks for your help I will contact the creditors and find out if there's something that can be done? I did a quit claim deed to get my name off of the title cause the home was getting tickets from the town and I did not live there once I did the deed I went to court and showed them the paperwork the tickets became her issue, the divorce was longer than I thought it would be since I didn't want anything but to have visitation right and to pay child support. Again thanks for your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
... I went to court and showed them the paperwork the tickets became her issue ...
There's something you're not telling us. You can't just show up at the court waiving a piece of paper saying you gave away the property. Now, if you showed them a recorded deed, that would be different. That should get you out of tickets moving forward from the date the deed was recorded, but not likely before.

FlyingRon

A deed shows you aren't the owner and hence not subject to the tickets for failure to mow the grass or whatever. Again, deeds and your divorce mean nothing to the bank. You have a contract with them to pay the loan in a timely fashion. You can try suing your ex for what she should have paid, but as far as you and the bank are concerned: you pay or get your credit trashed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">