• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Front door padlocked!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

riafish

What is the name of your state? Michigan
We are in the end stages of foreclosure. We received notice of the Sheriffs sale(date of sale 5/2006), & then in June 2006 received a certified letter stating that HUD would be taking over the home(I'm assuming that means that no one bought it at auction). We have not heard anything else about our home since June 2006. We assumed & received cousel that we would have at least 6 months before they would evict us. That would have given us until 11/06 until eviction & then 30 day eviction notice would have ended around Christmas 2006. We were proactive & found a new place to live before we received notice of eviction. We moved the majority of our things 2 weeks ago & have been moving the rest in small loads since then. I went to the old house this morning, & the front door was padlocked. We still have quite a few things in there that belong to us. What should we do??? We haven't received any notices AT ALL since June 2006. NONE!! We were not formally evicted. My husband drove by the house 2 days ago & there was an orange sticker on the door(he didn't read it as he was just driving by) but the door wasn't padlocked. Today, the sticker was gone & the door was padlocked. We don't even know who to contact regarding the padlock. What should we do???

Last edited:

HUD-1

Contact your lender. The lender forecloses, takes title in their name, evicts/ejects occupants and then turns title over to HUD. The lender is required to secure the property if it is vacant, thus the padlocks. Call the lender to get your stuff. If/when it does go to HUD, they will have a contractor put a sign in the window with a phone # . Sounds like the lender still has this one...

LindaP777

When the house was padlocked, it was because the bank thought you already moved (just left the stuff you didn't want behind).
the way I see it, you have 2 choices here; 1) cut the lock, get in & out quickly with the remainder of your stuff, or 2) call the bank, explain the situation and hope they see it your way and let you in to get your stuff. You certainly should have been given proper notice to move and filled a writ of possession.
As you have not recieved any notice, I personally would opt for choice number 1.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
When the house was padlocked, it was because the bank thought you already moved (just left the stuff you didn't want behind).
the way I see it, you have 2 choices here; 1) cut the lock, get in & out quickly with the remainder of your stuff, or 2) call the bank, explain the situation and hope they see it your way and let you in to get your stuff. You certainly should have been given proper notice to move and filled a writ of possession.
As you have not recieved any notice, I personally would opt for choice number 1.
Linda - why would you advise this person to break the law???

OP - Your "notice" was the orange tag on the door. Your hubby should have taken a moment to READ it!

LindaP777

Linda - why would you advise this person to break the law???
I certainly don't consider entering my own house breaking the law. The lock was put on the house without the necessary steps to evict the occupants. It's what I would do. I gave them options.

Zigner

I certainly don't consider entering my own house breaking the law. The lock was put on the house without the necessary steps to evict the occupants. It's what I would do. I gave them options.
The problem is that it WASN'T their house any more. They WERE provided proper notice and chose to ignore it (and I'm willing to bet that little orange note wasn't the only notice that they ignored)

LindaP777

OP - Your "notice" was the orange tag on the door.
I don't know where you come from, but a little orange sticker placed on the door the day they changed the locks is no notice. That was just a notice HUD places on all the houses they service. A writ of possession must be filed and proper eviction notice given to anyone living in the house (around here, usually sent certified). They had every right to get their belongings out before the house was padlocked!

Zigner

I don't know where you come from, but a little orange sticker placed on the door the day they changed the locks is no notice. That was just a notice HUD places on all the houses they service. A writ of possession must be filed and proper eviction notice given to anyone living in the house (around here, usually sent certified). They had every right to get their belongings out before the house was padlocked!
Linda - doesn't matter where I come from. You have no way of knowing WHAT the orange tag was. No one does, since the OP admits to ignoring it. Based on that, I would bet that the OP has ignored several notices.

LindaP777

My husband drove by the house 2 days ago & there was an orange sticker on the door(he didn't read it as he was just driving by) but the door wasn't padlocked.
Zigner, why do you keep insisting they ignored the orange sticker? No where does the OP say they ignored it. And if evicting people by simply placing a notice on the door was that easy (as you seem to think) why is eviction such a long drawn out process? I could just post a notice on my tenants door one day and padlock it the next when I wanted a them out. No, there are proper steps to go through and the bank simply dropped the ball on this one.

Zigner

He drove by, saw the notice was on the door, but didn't read it. I can't seem to think of a better definition of "ignored".
You think the lender dropped the ball. I think poster dropped the ball. Based on the post, my thoughts seem more in line with reality.
But I'm done with this thread - only so many times you can talk to a brick wall...

Good Day

LindaP777

Good day to you as well. I agree with your comment about the brick wall.
It appears the OP is long gone, anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">