• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help.... need my life back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jim2011

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My brother(co-owner really his house) who is married and me (owner due to better credit) bought house in 2004 in Pennsylvania(both of us is on deed/mortgage). I moved out 2006 and asked to have my name taken off. he could not refinance due to debt from a well paying job. now in 2009 he started going through divorce issues. He no longer stays their and some how missed 9 months of payments. A payment plan was setup. He has missed a payment or two last year. I am getting married soon and want to have a clean slate. What can i do to get my name off , hold him liable and clear my name ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My brother(co-owner really his house) who is married and me (owner due to better credit) bought house in 2004 in Pennsylvania(both of us is on deed/mortgage). I moved out 2006 and asked to have my name taken off. he could not refinance due to debt from a well paying job. now in 2009 he started going through divorce issues. He no longer stays their and some how missed 9 months of payments. A payment plan was setup. He has missed a payment or two last year. I am getting married soon and want to have a clean slate. What can i do to get my name off , hold him liable and clear my name ?
Buy out his portion of the house.
Why should HE be liable...YOU are an owner of the house too.

Jim2011

my credit was used but home is his. I never once paid the mortgage. I only contributed to a portion for the time i lived there. when i moved out i asked him to take my name off but mortgage company would not due to his debt. which he said he would take care of but never did. now he started to go through divorce and his wife and kids are the only one that live in house. i understand that my name is on it but it seems to be complicated when you also include his wife and kids. what rights do she have to house under PA laws? what do you mean by buying his portion? as i see it my credit took a hard hit when 9 months of non payments took place so giving him money on a house that lost valve in this market is a no for me. i need to know whats my options and then i will consult with a lawyer.

cyjeff

Okay... no mortgage company is going to release the only person on the loan that might pay.

YOU are that person.

Sue your brother if you wish.

Jim2011

you are so correct. i will lose sleep doing this but i know it may come down to this. money and family sure do not mix.

Okay... no mortgage company is going to release the only person on the loan that might pay.

YOU are that person.

Sue your brother if you wish.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">