• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegally charged 4k?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nixbrown

What is the name of your state? nevada

i recently sold a property on a owner carryback contract that was signed and notarized. the house stood vacant for a few weeks until the new owner moved in, altho he had assumed that contract he decided not to switch on utilites until move in date. when water was switched on a burst pipe was discovered. i had no knowledge of pipe ( water had been turned off) and there is a good possibility the pipes froze because he did not heat the house. property was sold in AS IS condition with no warranties ( property is land with non permatized 30 year old mobile home so you see why) buyer demanded that i fix the problem even tho he had elected NOT to have a house inspection. buyer went ahead without my knowledge or authoritazion and fix pipes. the cost was over 4k which he informed the plumber that he would have to bill me. how can a company bill someone that hasnt authorized the service? i am speaking with lawyer next week but am just curious on anyone else opinion

seniorjudge

nixbrown said:
What is the name of your state? nevada

i recently sold a property on a owner carryback contract that was signed and notarized. the house stood vacant for a few weeks until the new owner moved in, altho he had assumed that contract he decided not to switch on utilites until move in date. when water was switched on a burst pipe was discovered. i had no knowledge of pipe ( water had been turned off) and there is a good possibility the pipes froze because he did not heat the house. property was sold in AS IS condition with no warranties ( property is land with non permatized 30 year old mobile home so you see why) buyer demanded that i fix the problem even tho he had elected NOT to have a house inspection. buyer went ahead without my knowledge or authoritazion and fix pipes. the cost was over 4k which he informed the plumber that he would have to bill me. how can a company bill someone that hasnt authorized the service? i am speaking with lawyer next week but am just curious on anyone else opinion
Q: how can a company bill someone that hasnt authorized the service?

A: Tell the buyer to bite rocks and tell the plumber to bill the person who ordered the work.

nixbrown

my thoughts too actually, but i am worried even tho i sold the property in AS IS condiiton and technically it is not considered real property since house is a mobile i wonder if he could sue and say i didnt tell him pipes were broken, which is true i had no idea they were the faucets were working fine the day he signed contract. I am still trying to get over actually receiving a bill from a licenced contracter that states on the invoice " customer wont pay says bill you" good god!

efflandt

Insufficient data to tell how or when you assumed possession or occupation would take place. But in hindsight, it would have been prudent to shut off power to any electric water heater, shut off all pilot lights, and drain any water down that could possibly freeze (including putting RV type non-toxic anti-freeze in toilets) before or at the time you discontinued utilities.

If you had no clue when it would be occupied, and used a little common sense (winterized it), there may have been no loss, and you would not be here asking who is liable. I guess he wants it as it "was" when you sold it to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">