• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Late mail, late payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brynmk

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I use an online bill pay service their records show that the payment was mailed on the
2nd. It is due on the 15th. The mortgage company claims they recieved it on the 19th.
What can I do? I can't afford the dings to the credit (there is a previous problem with them claiming a payment was late which has been resolved in my favor).
How can it take 17 days to get a payment through the mail? And whats to prevent the mortgage company for holding on to it until it's late if postmarks are not proof.
Please help.

Brynmk said:

I use an online bill pay service their records show that the payment was mailed on the
2nd. It is due on the 15th. The mortgage company claims they recieved it on the 19th.
What can I do? I can't afford the dings to the credit (there is a previous problem with them claiming a payment was late which has been resolved in my favor).
How can it take 17 days to get a payment through the mail? And whats to prevent the mortgage company for holding on to it until it's late if postmarks are not proof.
Please help.

If you have a history of paying your mortgage on time, why not call up the mortgagee, explain the situation, and negotiate a compromise? Since payment is technically due on the 1st, in the future mail your payment on the 25th to avoid future conflicts.

pojo2

Brynmk said:

Please help.
Post, makes no sense, if you use an online bill paying service what does the mail have to do with anything? I pay my bills online through my bank and the money goes directly to the creditor and no mail service is involved.

So if I am missing something here then why depend on someone else to MAIL out your payment do it yourself and on time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
pojo2 said:
Post, makes no sense, if you use an online bill paying service what does the mail have to do with anything? I pay my bills online through my bank and the money goes directly to the creditor and no mail service is involved.

So if I am missing something here then why depend on someone else to MAIL out your payment do it yourself and on time.
If the mortgage company doesn't accept electronic payments through the same system, then the bill paying service generates and mails a check on behalf of the client.

moburkes

Brynmk said:

Please help.
Its also not going to show up as a late payment on your credit report unless it was 30 days late. By the way, my bank's online payment service will reimburse me any fees that are caused when the payment arrives after the date posted on the screen. Maybe you can look into that.

pojo2

Zigner said:
If the mortgage company doesn't accept electronic payments through the same system, then the bill paying service generates and mails a check on behalf of the client.
Then to me it is very foolish to use the system for your mortgage payment, to control it completely why not just mail it yourself if that is all that gets done with it anyway? Only asking for trouble in my opinion anyway.

pojo2

moburkes said:
Its also not going to show up as a late payment on your credit report unless it was 30 days late.
May not show up as 30 days late but it can and in many cases will show up as SLOW PAY if it is a constant practice!

pojo2

moburkes said:
On the credit report?
Yes on the credit reports!

I work with seniors and young folks (volunteer) as a cushion between them and a few creditors to get them back in line with their credit issue and work out payment arrangements (FULL balances only I do NOT work to have debts excused unless it is a medical issue of such severity they can not ever settle the debt, or if there are more than 500.00 in over the limit charges I will try and ask the creditor to eliminate this if payments arranged are made on time for a specific period of time) anyway back to topic and in viewing credit reports they bring me I have seen a few mortgage companies who will NOT list as 30 days late, as you state, but will comment "slow pay" if they pay those payments right up to the 29th day everytime.

Last edited:

moburkes

pojo2 said:
Yes on the credit reports!

I work with seniors and young folks (volunteer) as a cushion between them and a few creditors to get them back in line with their credit issue and work out payment arrangements (FULL balances only I do NOT work to have debts excused unless it is a medical issue of such severity they can not ever settle the debt, or if there are more than 500.00 in over the limit charges I will try and ask the creditor to eliminate this if payments arranged are made on time for a specific period of time) anyway back to topic and in viewing credit reports they bring me I have seen a few mortgage companies who will NOT list as 30 days late, as you state, but will comment "slow pay" if they pay those payments right up to the 29th day everytime.
Well, I certainly appreciate that information. I had never seen nor heard of that before. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">