• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

loan vs title questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bornitz

What is the name of your state? California

I purchased a house with someone (joint tenancy WROS) almost 6 years ago and things didn't work out. I bought out their interest in the house over a year ago via quitclaim. The title is in my name alone. However, because interest rates were considerably higher than my 2003 rate, I never refinanced and the other person is still on the loan (1st mortgage). I have made every mortgage and prop tax payment since initial purchase 6 yrs ago.

Now, he wants to buy his own home and while his credit score is nearly excellent, he was advised that he will not get the best interest rate as long as his name is still on my mortgage loan since the amount owed is around 190k.

As an aside, I paid him an enormous amount of money to buy him out. It was much higher than his investment in the house, but I knew that he would force a partition suit and I would most likely lose my home. So, I just bit the bullet and chalked it up to a very expensive learning experience.

I inquired last year about having his name removed from the loan without refinancing and the lender said that it is possible but the fees are pretty steep. I informed him of this when he called the other day. He suggested that we split the fee to have this done to make things more cost effective for him.

I realize that I'm under no obligation to do so, and I have nothing to gain by throwing more good money after bad as I have done in the past with him.

However, I have no objection to having his name removed from the loan providing that he is willing to bite the bullet and pay the fees to have this done. I will agree to sign the bank docs providing it's done in a fashion that doesn't cause me to incur further expenses. In other words, it will be have to done through the bank or an escrow company. I can no longer afford to take any chances with this person.

I expect that he will be angry if I don't agree to contribute financially to this.

My questions are:

1. Can he re-fi and take cash out without the bank notifying me or having me sign new loan docs? Please keep in mind that every payment has and will come directly from my checking account which is in my name alone.

2. If he chooses *not* to pay the fee to remove his name from the loan and I decide to refinance later on should interest rates go down, will I need him to sign any docs?

Thanks in advance,
Bonnie

lcannister

You want it all don't you? Without his assistance in staying on the loan you would own no home. He was a complete and utter FOOL to allow you to do this!

bornitz

oops... you misunderstood

He didn't need to be on the loan and could have never qualified on his own with his low paying job and minescule savings. My income was more than 3x his and my savings was astronomical in comparison. I put $60k down on the house and he put $2k. I was the fool, not he.. he scored big and is living a grand life. I put him on title to protect him, forgetting about protecting myself and my family.

The sad thing about this is that you (and the poster on the other board) immediately think that I'm trying to take advantage of this poor guy. If I was a guy posting about an ex-girlfriend doing the same exact thing you would call her gold-digging trash.

Just because you are accustomed to seeing women take men to the cleaners over stuff like this, doesn't mean that it *always* happens that way. You may not believe it, but there are some very educated businesswomen out there that actually work and support themselves, their children, parents, etc. and (oh my god!), can actually buy their own house. But we sometimes lead with our hearts and not with our heads and then in turn get taken buy a lazy fellow who thinks he's entitled to everything!

Tsk, Tsk... shame on you!

bornitz

oops, forgot something...

The ONLY reason he can even qualify for his own loan is because of the substantial quit-claim amount I gave him. Without that that fat wad of cash, he would be renting forever.. He even wanted to buy his own condo before we got the house and he didn't qualify.. no savings and income too low. He borrowed the closing costs from his mom. If you really think he's that awesome, I'm sure I can dig up his number for you! :D

seniorjudge

My questions are:

1. Can he re-fi and take cash out without the bank notifying me or having me sign new loan docs? Please keep in mind that every payment has and will come directly from my checking account which is in my name alone.

A: No, not on your place.

2. If he chooses *not* to pay the fee to remove his name from the loan and I decide to refinance later on should interest rates go down, will I need him to sign any docs?

A: No, when you refinance, the old loan gets paid off.

bornitz

Thank you so much!

Thanks SeniorJudge. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question.

Thanks again.
Regards,
Bonnie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">