• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mortgage Assumption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kristams

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Hello - My sister would like to assume my mortgage on my house. Are there any risks I face by doing this? And what is the procedure to get this done?

Thanks!

seniorjudge

Q: Are there any risks I face by doing this?

A: Yes; if she defaults, they may come after you.

Q: And what is the procedure to get this done?

A: Ask the lender; they will prepare all the docs if it is okay with them.

Samm1970

It depends if it's a qualifying or non-qualifying assumeable. Most assumeable loans nowadays are qualifying, which means your sister would have to credit qualify and then you'd get a release of liability.

Call the lender that services your loan. They'll tell you if it's qualifying or non-qualifying assumeable and and send you out an assumption package.

seniorjudge

Samm1970 said:
It depends if it's a qualifying or non-qualifying assumeable. Most assumeable loans nowadays are qualifying, which means your sister would have to credit qualify and then you'd get a release of liability.

Call the lender that services your loan. They'll tell you if it's qualifying or non-qualifying assumeable and and send you out an assumption package.
Good answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">