• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My name is on my ex's mortgage and I want to buy a home with my soon to be husband.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

REMstate7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I need some help from someone. I am going to try to explain this situation as best as I can.

I own a house with my ex. We split up a little while back after buying a house together, we were never married but both of our names are on the mortgage. I moved out and left him the house. The house right now is unable to be refinanced because he owes more than the house is worth. Is there any other way of getting my name off of the mortgage?

I am now engaged and will soon be married, if we were to buy a home together, would the fact that I am on my ex’s mortgage affect my new home at all? Say my ex foreclosed on his house, would the bank be able to do anything to my new house since I am on the mortgage too?

Or.. What if my husband was to only put the new house under his name after we are married, would the bank be able to do anything to our new house even though I am not on the new mortgage?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

seniorjudge

Q: Is there any other way of getting my name off of the mortgage?

A: Yes and it's quite simple: Pay off the mortgage.

nextwife

Q: Is there any other way of getting my name off of the mortgage?

A: Yes and it's quite simple: Pay off the mortgage.
Agreed. If you are willing to make up the shortfall, I'm sure the house could be sold. It's called "bringing money to the table" and people have been doing it for decades to get homes sold that are worth less that the mortgage.

Or you and husband-to-be only buy as much house as he alone can qualify to buy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">