• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refi stopped because of lien in ex wifes name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr937

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I started to refinance this month and everything went well until it was almost final. They found a judgement lien was on the house in my ex wifes name and needed to be resolved. She is planning on filing bankruptcy soon. If she does will It remove the lien or just become mine?

Background of the whole story:

In 2009 We were divorced. In the divorce i was awarded the house and needed to remove her name within a year. In 2008 I had cosigned a car loan for her. In the divorce she was supposed to remove my name from the loan. She quit paying it and the bank started calling me. I helped them find the car and they had it back within about a month or 2 in 2009. I assumed the car was coming back to me so i could pick up the payments but they sold it at auction and just told me that I owed them a bunch of money. So that has been haunting me for years. This also destroyed my credit and I was unable to refinance at that time. We both verbally agreed that I would keep making the payments and refinance when my credit was better and she would see what she could do about the car. She never did anything. In about audust 2014 She said she was filing bankruptcy and needed the house out of her name. My credit has gotten much better so I told her to give me until the end of the year. She agreed. At the end of November I started the refinance. Everything went smooth until the end here and they found a judgement lien in her name on the house. It was put in place in 2013. Today is the first day that I have ever heard of this. I would think that they should let both parties on the house now this right? Im assuming it is the car. It could be a multitude of other bills she quit paying on that were just in her name. The judgement lien has never shown up on any of my credit reports or anything. How could I get and record a quitclaim deed removing her from interest in the property if a lien was present? Everything about this seems wrong and Im hoping I can fix it somehow. Ive put alot of money and work into this house and dont want to lose it. Sorry for the lengthy post here. Im sure I could add much more info to this. Thank you for any help any of you can provide!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">