• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Lien and Tax Foreclosure Procedure - New Jersey

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fran59

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? New Jersey

I live in New Jersey (South Jersey). I have a tax lien certificate now for 15 years on an unknown vacant lot located behind by existing property. I want to own this lot with clear title and build on it.

How do I go about foreclosing? The title search did not identify any previous owners or lien holders. Do I need a lawyer to complete such a foreclosure as this? How much could I expect to have to pay a lawyer to do handle ths type of foreclosure.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Fran

Last edited:

nightrome2004

My advise would be to go to the court house and research the records, and find the owner, first step would be to find who was previous owner of the land. Sounds like a good title search wasn't done. Has to be an owner. Court records are public information. Find the owner, and also find out in your state what the law of redemption is for tax liens. Sounds like the time of redemption would be up. Check with your county clerk , on redemption periods and what to do with the tax lien you have. Most of this could be done yourself if you are willing to do research. You are doing good to pursue this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">