• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to refinance but loan is in Ex-mom-in-law's name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BethInReno

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Nevada
My ex-mother-in-law quit claimed my home to my ex-husband and myself several years ago. The mortgage is in her name and she thought by quit claiming, she was not responsible for the loan. Fast forward....divorced the son...now I want to refinance the loan and get it in my name. I have my mortgage ready to close but the bank wants some documents signed by my ex-mother-in-law because the loan is in her name, not mine. I now have about $80,000 in equity. HELP! What can I do to force cooperation, or what can I do to ensure that she can't screw me up? Is there some kind of lien I can put on the property and let her loan foreclose, then I can pay off her foreclosure with my new loan? She called my mortgage broker and said she was going to sue me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">