• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unwanted property debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oldtymedebt

tx
Is there any statute of limitations on property owners fees?
nearly 20 years ago, my then-husband and I thought we would purchase a piece of property from a property owners association at a nearby lake. This was sometime in 1985. We may have made 1 or 2 payments, realized we couldn't handle it and decided to default. We never made any more payments and never heard any more from the company. We figured the property was re-possessed.

Flash forward... I received a bill from a collection agency for $918 in "property owners fees". They inform me that the county clerks office as well as the tax office both show that both my ex-husband and myself are listed as deed holders. They further state the deed was filed in 1987. How can you own something you never paid for?
Should I be concerned or is there some other action I should take? I certainly don't have the money, and don't want this turned in to the credit agencies! Furthermore, I do not want the land! What should I do?

HomeGuru

oldtymedebt said:
tx
nearly 20 years ago, my then-husband and I thought we would purchase a piece of property from a property owners association at a nearby lake. This was sometime in 1985. We may have made 1 or 2 payments, realized we couldn't handle it and decided to default. We never made any more payments and never heard any more from the company. We figured the property was re-possessed.

Flash forward... I received a bill from a collection agency for $918 in "property owners fees". They inform me that the county clerks office as well as the tax office both show that both my ex-husband and myself are listed as deed holders. They further state the deed was filed in 1987. How can you own something you never paid for?
Should I be concerned or is there some other action I should take? I certainly don't have the money, and don't want this turned in to the credit agencies! Furthermore, I do not want the land! What should I do?
**A: who is currently on title to the property?

oldtymedebt

tx. I dont have a clue. furthermore, don't know how to begin to find out. This happened in Texas, and I now live in Louisiana.

S

seniorjudge

Q: What should I do?
A: Get a real estate agent in that county and sell. Before you do that, have a title company run a current owner and lien report; it will give you lots of detail on who owns what and what liens there are against the place.

I find this amazing, however; why wasn't the places sold for taxes or foreclosed upon long ago? I sense a scam.

I received a bill from a collection agency for $918 in "property owners fees".

Tell them you want validation.

Standard answer on expired SOL and/or validation letters.

(Courtesy of Ladynred)

Notification of expired SOL letter:
http://community-2.webtv.net/YCHANG...AGE/page13.html

Validation letter samples you can get at :
www.creditinfocenter.com
and www.creditboards.com

I am NOT a creditor-debtor lawyer; stand by for further help.

oldtymedebt

I was not aware about the "validation" process. I will gladly try this and see if it helps. I really feel as if someone is trying to pull the wool over my eyes with this! Hope it is not too late to stop the action they are threatening me with.

oldtymedebt

The Saga Continues...

oldtymedebt said:
tx

SOL letter/vallidation letter sent by registerd, certified mail and have receipt in hand. NOW, I've gotten an invoice from the "Property Owners Association". This goes back to 1987, yet the invoice only shows a balance forward from December of '02. I really don't know how to resolve this. I DO NOT OWN ANY PROPERTY!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">