• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

10 foot rule? Boat lift

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Boater9025

I live in a townhome on a canal. I just redid my deck and dock and was looking to put in a boat lift. Apparently the EPA requires a signature of my neighbors approval if it is with in 10 feet of a neighbors property. My neighbor refuses to sign off on it even though it is the same configuration he has with his dock and boat lift, along with our two other neighbors. Is anybody familiar with how to deal with the EPA regarding this matter? Or does anyone have any suggestions on a attorney in the state of Florida that has experience with this?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I live in a townhome on a canal. I just redid my deck and dock and was looking to put in a boat lift. Apparently the EPA requires a signature of my neighbors approval if it is with in 10 feet of a neighbors property. My neighbor refuses to sign off on it even though it is the same configuration he has with his dock and boat lift, along with our two other neighbors. Is anybody familiar with how to deal with the EPA regarding this matter? Or does anyone have any suggestions on a attorney in the state of Florida that has experience with this?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The Florida Department of Environmental Protection must
provide either a permit, or an exemption from permit, for any
construction on the water. We base our permit approval on
their permit or exemption. If you have any questions, you
may contact their office at 561-681-6600 - 400 North
Congress Avenue, Suite 200, West Palm Beach, FL 33401
or (772) 398-2806 - 1801 SE Hillmoor Drive, Suite C-204,
Port St. Lucie, FL 34952; or go to their website at
www.dep.state.fl.us\water\wetlands\erp\forms.htm, then go
to Section A.
www.******.fl.us/web_docs/bld/web/aid...Permit.*****0_Boatlift.pdf

There is also information here:
www.charlottefl.com/outreach/pzdocs/FDEP.pdf

You might try googling florida DEP boat lift {county name}. :cool:

154NH773

My state (NH) has a similiar rule (although it is 20 feet). It is next to impossible to get around the rule, except by moving the dock/boatlift more than 10 feet from that neighbor. If the neighbor on the other side will sign off, then move the dock/boatlift to that side of your property.
A friend of mine, whose neighbor on one side would not sign off, had to build a shared dock with his neighbor on the other side. He was able to get revenge, by never allowing the nasty neighbor from ever building a dock. When that neighbor sold out, then he allowed the new neighbor to build.

xylene

Have you offered compensation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">