• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

5 yr old damages neighbors driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

riomike40

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?California
I am a 23 year Air Force veteran. While I was deployed for operation ENDURING FREEDOM my brother in law was watching my kids while my wife was at work. My daughter was drawing on the sidewalk with "sidewalk chalk" and drew on my neighbors driveway. My neighbor got very upset when she saw the chalk marks on her driveway and went over and told my brother in law she wanted it removed right away. He took my pressure washer an cleaned the marks off the driveway. while doing so he made marks on the driveway. Now my neighbor is taking me to court for $5000.00 to have her whole driveway replaced. Where do I stand with this. are there any laws about a 5 yr old child unwillfully damaging property. I also got an appraisal to have the driveway repaired for about $200.00. can someone tell me where I stand here? :confused:

riomike40 said:
I am a 23 year Air Force veteran. While I was deployed for operation ENDURING FREEDOM my brother in law was watching my kids while my wife was at work. My daughter was drawing on the sidewalk with "sidewalk chalk" and drew on my neighbors driveway. My neighbor got very upset when she saw the chalk marks on her driveway and went over and told my brother in law she wanted it removed right away. He took my pressure washer an cleaned the marks off the driveway. while doing so he made marks on the driveway. Now my neighbor is taking me to court for $5000.00 to have her whole driveway replaced. Where do I stand with this. are there any laws about a 5 yr old child unwillfully damaging property. I also got an appraisal to have the driveway repaired for about $200.00. can someone tell me where I stand here? :confused:
Your five year old did not damage your neighbor's driveway; your brother-in-law did (assuming it is damaged). The neighbor has no claim against you.

duplexowner

No law pro here, but I think you'd only be held liable to restore the driveway to its original condition, not put in a whole new one. She may have a hard time proving that the damage done was $5000

panzertanker

riomike40 said:
Personal opinion:
Tell your mean, dried up, old hag of a neighbor to suck eggs and pound sand.
You and your child did not damage the driveway.
Your BIL is responsible, she has no claim against you...

PghREA

Chalk washes off easily, it did not need to be pressure washed.
Your BIL is responsible for the damage, if any. He will only need to repair the driveway - not replace it.

Teach your 5 year old to only draw on her own driveway.

nextwife

I'm sorry, but I can't help but be amused at how a man will go use a power tool, instead of simply getting a wet, soapy cloth and WIPE IT OFF.

Greg 2

The marks are probably 'clean concrete' surrounded by dirty concrete. Time and 'dirt' will fix this problem. Agree that child is not responsible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">