• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandoned property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chris egbert

Neighbor is storing a boat and three boat trailers in my yard with my verbal consent.
Last year he self admittedly killed his wife and is now in prison. He is in his late 70's and I'm pretty sure I won't see him again. What do I do to get rid of his property? Is there documents in need to fill out to take possession of his property? I want it off of my property.

John Se

usually there is a legal process for abandoned cars, I would bet its the same for trailers, do they have license plates? The people who pick up abandoned cars will likely know, they advertise, check CL. Or you could probably gain title to them through the same process and sell them.

Chris egbert

The boat has expired tags and 1 of the three trailers has a license plate also with expired tags.
I'm thinking that I probably need to notify the owner of my intent to get rid of his property first.
Thanks for your input.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The boat has expired tags and 1 of the three trailers has a license plate also with expired tags.
I'm thinking that I probably need to notify the owner of my intent to get rid of his property first.
Thanks for your input.
Gee, if we knew what state this was occurring in, we might be able to point you in the right direction...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sorry... I reside in Las Vegas NV
I used the following phrase in Google and it yielded a LOT of information that would be helpful. I'd post some links, but it's probably easier to just have you run the same search:

how to remove abandoned vehicles from private property in nv

Stephen1

Let me start with: I am not a lawyer.
But, this situation does not sound to me to be abandoned anything (whether they fit NV's definition of vehicle or not). You know who the owner of the boats and trailers are. You know how to contact him. You could contact him to discuss what his plans were or what you want done (revoking your permission). He could arrange for someone else to act in his stead and remove the boats and trailers.

Perhaps it is time to talk with a lawyer about the items and obtain his/her guidance. Just deciding that this is abandoned material and proceeding in that direction could end up biting you.

justalayman

NRS 487.210  Definitions.  As used in NRS 487.210 to 487.300, inclusive, unless the context otherwise requires:
1.  “Abandoned vehicle” means a vehicle:
(a) If the vehicle is discovered upon public lands, that the owner has discarded.
(b) If the vehicle is discovered upon public or private property other than public lands:
(1) That the owner has discarded; or
(2) Which has not been reclaimed by the registered owner or a person having a security interest in the vehicle within 15 days after notification pursuant to NRS 487.250.
2.  “Public lands” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 321.5963.
(Added to NRS by 1967, 1601; A 1973, 1064; 1983, 1099; 1985, 519, 1961; 1

NRS 487.250  Required notices.
1.  The state agency or political subdivision shall, within 48 hours after the appraisal, notify the head of the state agency of the removal of the vehicle. The notice must contain:
(a) A description of the vehicle.
(b) The appraised value of the vehicle.
(c) A statement as to whether the vehicle will be junked, dismantled or otherwise disposed of.
2.  The person who removed the vehicle must notify the registered owner and any person having a security interest in the vehicle by registered or certified mail that the vehicle has been removed and will be junked or dismantled or otherwise disposed of unless the registered owner or the person having a security interest in the vehicle responds and pays the costs of removal.
3.  Failure to reclaim within 15 days after notification a vehicle appraised at $500 or less constitutes a waiver of interest in the vehicle by any person having an interest in the vehicle.
4.  If all recorded interests in a vehicle appraised at $500 or less are waived, either as provided in subsection 3 or by written disclaimer by any person having an interest in the vehicle, the state agency, except as otherwise provided in subsection 3 of NRS 487.100, shall issue a salvage title pursuant to NRS 487.810 to the automobile wrecker who towed the vehicle or to whom the vehicle may have been delivered, or a certificate of title to the garage owner if the garage owner elects to retain the vehicle and the vehicle is equipped as required by chapter 484D of NRS.
(Added to NRS by 1967, 1600; A 1969, 95, 769; 1973, 339, 974; 1979, 493, 1232; 1987, 1604; 1999, 1922; 2003, 474, 1917; 2011, 1661)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">