• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandoned Property Stolen by Neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Haunted

What is the name of your state? Tennessee. I purchased a home from a family trust in Feb. 2007. The prior tenant left behind several items including a john deere lawn mower in good condition. We attempted to contact him many times to no avail and used the lawn mower, maintained and provided service for lawn mower.

April 2008 our neighbor entered our garage, took the lawn mower and refuses to return it. He produced a bill of sale dated January 2008 allegedly signed by prior tenant. We consider it an abandoned appurtenence and our property. Police refuse to intervene. What steps must we take to reclaim our property?

The value is about 700.00 . Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sue the bad guy in small claims court. However, it sure seems to me like the property actually BELONGED to the neighbor

acmb05

Sue the bad guy in small claims court. However, it sure seems to me like the property actually BELONGED to the neighbor
No it belongs to the OP. Once the house was closed on, unless written in the contract any thing left on the property belongs to the new homeowner. Now over a year later the seller wants to turn around and sell a lawnmower that was left to someone else. Take them to court and request the lawnmower be returned or you compensated for the value of the mower.

acmb05

They closed in Feb. 07 and the dated receipt said it was bought in January 08. I would have to say that is after the closing.

vwood

I'm no expert, but I'm noticing that the lawnmower didn't belong to the seller, but to a tenant. I don't think any contract signed by the seller has any standing with regards to property owned by a tenant.

In my state (CA), if a tenant leaves something behind, I either have to sell it and give the proceeds to that tenant, or else haul it off as garbage. Either way, I can never claim ownership to stuff tenants leave behind.

45Frank

I know here in NC I went thru something simular with horses left on my land when I closed. The people wouldn't take them after I purchased the land. My attorney told them and the seller if it was on my property at closing it was all mine. They were given plenty of time but just didn't want to move them.
I just wanted them gone.

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? Tennessee. I purchased a home from a family trust in Feb. 2007. The prior tenant left behind several items including a john deere lawn mower in good condition. We attempted to contact him many times to no avail and used the lawn mower, maintained and provided service for lawn mower.

April 2008 our neighbor entered our garage, took the lawn mower and refuses to return it. He produced a bill of sale dated January 2008 allegedly signed by prior tenant. We consider it an abandoned appurtenence and our property. Police refuse to intervene. What steps must we take to reclaim our property?

The value is about 700.00 . Thanks
We consider it an abandoned appurtenence and our property.

You consider wrong. It's not yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">