• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Access to landlocked property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MobileTech

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

This is Alabama-specific.

There is a small piece of property adjacent to mine to which there is no road or water access. My neighbors' properties bound it on the remaining sides. This piece of property is undeveloped, has no particular value--it is simply brush, there is no history of access to it since the larger parcel of which it was originally a part was carved up, and there has been no interest in accessing it for well over a decade. Offers to buy the property have been met with an absurd asking price.

Are any of us required to provide that property owner with access to it, should such a request be made at some time?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

This is Alabama-specific.

There is a small piece of property adjacent to mine to which there is no road or water access. My neighbors' properties bound it on the remaining sides. This piece of property is undeveloped, has no particular value--it is simply brush, there is no history of access to it since the larger parcel of which it was originally a part was carved up, and there has been no interest in accessing it for well over a decade. Offers to buy the property have been met with an absurd asking price.

Are any of us required to provide that property owner with access to it, should such a request be made at some time?
Short answer: Yes. :cool:

154NH773

If it is left up to a court, anything may happen. It is probable that the last division of property that "landlocked" the parcel would have to provide access, and likely at no cost. If that parcel is unable to provide access for some reason, then the last division from which access was possible would probably have to allow access, again; at no cost.

You do not say how you determined the parcel has no access. I would have a title company research your deed to see if in the past someone granted, or reserved, access to the parcel. You may be able to do the search yourself if you feel confident.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Besides looking at the history of the property to learn which parcel was likely the one to leave it landlocked , I would suggest you learn from your county what is required for width of driveways / roads should that property owner some day start asking for easement. Personally if that land owner had to buy the land needed to make their own driveway thats way way better than just a easement over land they dont own( repair issues like grading or adding gravel they would have to deal with ) if you had to, is your lot set up well enough that a strip of land for access on the edge of your property could be done ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">